upholstery and wood

steve in reno

Reaction score
Well I am finally springing for new leather seats and door panels. Will not be original. That's good.

Doing black seats, med grey console sides, rear fold down and lower door panels. And a light gray, diamond perforated, upper door panel.

Also doing just the door wood. In a elm carpathian burl, for a touch of elegance, with a satin finish. I am shooting the BMW budget in the butt with all of the leather, so the dash will have to wait.

There is only so much time available.
I have already removed the parts.

I will take pic's for the group if someone will show me how/or post them for me. I am old and just barely computer literate, did I speel that rite???

I don't post often, but you are all, my bmw family!
Thanks for the inspiration.
peace
steve

I am doing the veneering process myself. A very close friend is a sailboat refinisher, who has lots of experience with this type of work. Will be using sealed bag with vacuum method. I also am a building and plumbing contractor, so this kind of work is in my realm of work experience.
Murry... I've been sick, or would have been there last week. Wife is out of town and I have some jobs that need to be finished. I believe that next week or the week after will be my oppurtunity to head to Lake Elsinore for some Hang gliding, and to come visit the Saturday get together in your neighborhood.
I can't wait for the process to begin!!!!!! The planning has been long, now the fun part.
steve

I am doing the veneering process myself. A very close friend is a sailboat refinisher, who has lots of experience with this type of work. Will be using sealed bag with vacuum method. I also am a building and plumbing contractor, so this kind of work is in my realm of work experience.
Murray... I've been sick, or would have been there last week. Wife is out of town and I have some jobs that need to be finished. I believe that next week or the week after will be my oppurtunity to head to Lake Elsinore for some Hang gliding, and to come visit the Saturday get together in your neighborhood.
I can't wait for the process to begin!!!!!! The planning has been long, now the fun part.
steve

I did my dash in carpathian elm burl. Go to 3.0CS pictures in the gallery and look for Stan's interior.
It took me most of the winter as I travel quite a bit for business, but the result was very satisfying. :lol:
Cheers[/img]

wood is good

Steve, in the for what its worth dept, you may want to buy the veneer for the dash at the same time to ensure similar character/color when you are ready for the dash. You will also know from the start that you can get the length needed without having to splice. Burl loves (lives) to warp and buckle, so you may want to store pressed flat in a cool, dry place.

Dave V. in NC

thanks Danv in nc
I am purchasing enough burl to do 2 complete dashes, and am toying with trying to do one set of console sides also.
I live in the desert so humidity is not a problem.
I promise to keep the group in the loop.
At least now that Malc has offered to do the pic's. Thanks again Malc!
steve in reno

Back