upholstery of the seats in the post BMW E9 models

LEO

Reaction score
Regarding the upholstery of the seats in the post BMW E9 models, which have horizontal stripes, do you know if these stripes were originally stitched with thread or heat-formed?

Last edited:
Guys additional question, Is it normal or accepted for the center sections of the upholstery in the E9 to have these perforations? Personally, I think it looks beautiful. I took this photo from the Coupeking site and would appreciate your feedback.
CK-02.jpg
Screenshot 2024-10-17 at 9.13.27 AM.png

"Normal" or "accepted" I would say are personal judgements; It's your car - if you like it, choose it!
Afterall my judgement is just one moment in your coupe's life, whereas you are the one that sees it every time you drive.

I think the perforations could offer a bit more comfort in warm weather?

E9's did not have such perforations from factory.

i agree with @Stevehose - the only way to get those crisp lines (back in the day) was to stitch them. today there might be other ways to do it ... but to get a good depth of the panel joint is what is important visually. i also think the perforation is very tasteful, but i like it as shown - just on the inset, not on the side bolsters. i think if you have '74 perforated caps on the door / side panels, it makes a good accompaniment and might look like the way BMW should have done it. if i didn't have Scheel sport seats, i might have taken this approach.

Reactions: LEO
The seams in my Koenig seats were stitched; I assume as Scott notes that this was the common practice when these were made in order to get the depth of the pleat.

As to perforations, I agree that they look good, but I don't think perforated seats would last as long. The perforated MB Tex in my wife's 2016 Mercedes lasted only six years before we had to redo the driver's seat.

Reactions: LEO
I built this hot rod 25 years ago...
IMG_7823_nosign copy.JPG

My wife was driving a 1988 E28 (528e super eta) 5 speed at the time. Probably her favorite (and my) BMW daily driver. I loved the interior which was a combo of perforated leather on the seating surfaces and non perforated on the rest. I had the seats done the same way on the hot rod...

IMG_7808 copy.JPG

I'm reaching out to see if anyone knows where I can find screws for chairs similar to the ones shown in the picture. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
IMG_8467.jpeg

Back