US Customs loves my E9!

Reaction score
Well I still do not have my e9 being shipped from the USA to Australia as US Customs decided to target the container it was in the very day it was to be lifted onto the ship. No reasons given and they won't give any. I have the container back now after 2 weeks of wondering what the hell is going on? I am also going to have to pay for the recall and inspection/s and just hope they did not go as far as unloading the cars (I also have a 1955 Thunderbird in there). I cannot find anywhere online where anybody has had a container inspected going OUT of the US. So it is all just one big expensive mystery. Car should be here March with luck which is over 4 months after I bought it. Cheers Phil

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Phil, it is ridiculous someone wants you to pay for US Customs to detain & search your container. Sounds like a scam to me. As of yet I have not shipped a vehicle overseas, yet have had packages from Europe & Australia sit in Customs for weeks before being cleared.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
agreed, I’ve imported many containers of booze over the years and if it’s held in customs for a full inspection I wasn’t charged for it, only the lost time of a few days. The only time I was responsible for drayage was if the paperwork wasn’t correct and it sat in port. Then the $ added up quickly.

Phil, it is ridiculous someone wants you to pay for US Customs to detain & search your container. Sounds like a scam to me. As of yet I have not shipped a vehicle overseas, yet have had packages from Europe & Australia sit in Customs for weeks before being cleared.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Recall my delay and 120 dollar charge for buying 1200 dollars of parts from W&N. Amazing is that our taxes pay their salary and when they work, they charge for the work. Great deal!

Reaction score
agreed, I’ve imported many containers of booze over the years and if it’s held in customs for a full inspection I wasn’t charged for it, only the lost time of a few days. The only time I was responsible for drayage was if the paperwork wasn’t correct and it sat in port. Then the $ added up quickly.
Hi Stevehose, are you saying you were not charged for an inspection by US Customs for a container leaving the USA? Following your comments I am wondering if I might have some recourse? I have called US customs twice in Long beach, they do not answer the phone personally, you have to leave a message. They have not called me back probably because they are not authorised to make overseas phone calls! Seriously this whole thing is just fundamentally wrong that as I have done nothing wrong I am being penalised financially. This could cost AUD$3000! Apparently their computer system often selects a container just based on an algorithym (bet that is spelt wrong) of some sort. Cheers Phil ps I declared all spares I bought for the car and they demanded original receipts as well.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No sorry I meant inbound to the USA. But I still don’t see why they would charge you if it was a random inspection. Not sure why they care about outgoing cargo either.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry you are being put through this. It does not bode well for how we are perceived. Government bureaucracy. I think the mentality is " you can't hurt me and you can't do anything for me so you don't matter".

bimoverde

Site Donor
Reaction score
that is a known practice at the port of oakland in california..for the custom office to increase their budget...

Reaction score
that is a known practice at the port of oakland in california..for the custom office to increase their budget...
My car has finally arrived in Australia but not unpacked yet. Should have it by the middle of next week. US Customs charged me just over AUD$3000 for inspecting the container. They found nothing of course because there was nothing to find unless someone on the waterfront was attempting to smuggle something covertly. Frankly I think the whole episode is absolute Bulls**t! and should not be allowed to continue. I did nothing wrong yet it has cost me all that money. It is like being found guilty for murder even though at the time of the alleged offence I was in hospital suffering a cardiac arrest at the very moment the murder took place! It is all wrong, wrong and wrong again! Am I angry? You betcha. Cheers to you all Phil