Using an iPad as replacement for the audio source in the Coupe

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Disclaimer: This is about something that is obviously not a stock option. But it is done without creating anything that could not be reversed to stock at any point.

Three years ago alanmcg had a really interesting thread on installing an iPad mini in front of the center speaker. This provides for audio source as well as mapping. No more need for an antenna. Brilliant!

http://e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13167&highlight=ipad

As some water has passed under the bridge since then I was wondering if anyone else has done it and maybe discovered some good tips. Among the things I am pondering:

- Any better location than in front of the speaker?

- Now that we have a few generations of iPad minis, are there some models that work better than others for this purpose?

- Any suggestion for a simple amp to hook this up to and power the speakers? I do not plan to use the stock radio.

- Instead of getting an iPad with cellular capability, I would rather use my iPhone 5s and use the personal wifi option. Has anyone used this setup? Does it work well?

Thank you for any info.

Last edited:
I have converted my stock Blaupunkt Frankfurt to Bluetooth. In both Athena & Vern

Bought a 7 pin aux cable from ebay. Plug in back of radio, run jack to glove compartmet

Installed an aux power port in the glove compartment velcroed to the underside of the dash with an inline fuse both from the local auto parts store.

Bought an iLive Bluetooth receiver/adapter, http://iliveelectronics.com/iab13b.html

Plug 1/8 inch jack into receiver, plug receiver in with BMW USB power plug.

Sync. Listen to the invisible music.

Attachments

• IMG_3196.jpg
    IMG_3196.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Athena Radio.jpg
    Athena Radio.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 154
I used a Bluetooth enabled amplifier for one of my builds and a 1" Bluetooth receiver that plugs into the auxiliary cable for the malaga to enable use of my phone, its stored music, YouTube, etc. The Bluetooth enabled amplifier solution was particularly desirable in my 1963 Riviera that still had its OEM radio and no speaker cuts to the body. *Edit: The radio in the Buick is not connected. I bypassed it by using the amplifier.

I'm a big fan of utilizing new technology in older vehicles. Although I tend to use more discreet applications, especially with audio equipment (so as not to distract), when it serves a purpose and/or is executed well, I can't fault any owner of a vehicle that is not a last original example.

Last edited:
I pan on using an android tablet as both a source for radio and maps as well as running a digital dashboard for the megasquirt. I understand the Bluetooth connection is not ideal for tuning but for monitoring I think it will work great.

After a little more research, it seems like it just an amp would not work well with the iPad bc it would not have the option to control balance, fading and EQ.

What might work is to use one of the Sony head units that have a matching app for the iPhone/iPad and hide it either in the glove compartment or, better yet, in the trunk. The connection between the two would be via Bluetooth.

The lowest cost one appears to be this one:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158N5100BT/Sony-MEX-N5100BT.html?tp=5684

Back