UUC shifter conversion questions

shanon

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Thought I'd ask those who have done the UUC shifter conversion what their final parts list was.

Here's is what I have determined I need from UUC for my C/R 5spd conversion, (is it the same parts list as the OD tranny conversion?) based on research and a few chats:

1) USSE5 unit (for early style shift carrier)
2) 147mm DSSR (unit for '95 M5 6spd tranny)

+ misc nuts &bolts to freshen 'while I'm at it'.

Install looks relatively straight foward. Just a driveshaft and shifter console disconnect for best access, correct?

If any of the 'converted' care to chime in with wisdom/advise about this conversion before I pull the trigger, I'd appreciate it.

Coupes up!
-shanon

x_atlas0

Reaction score
The main problem I had you won't since you are going with a DSSR.

I would highly recommend changing the shifter bushing at the transmsission, otherwise you are just reducing the slop down the line, so to speak, when the majority of the slop is at that point. To get to it, you may need to unbolt the guibo/driveshaft conntection at the trans, unless you have incredibly tiny hands.

The circlip at the shifter is a royal PITA. You won't need the metal ring they provide, as you will just drop in the top and bottom halves of the shifter cup. I don't know if they will provide the shifter cup, so keep that in mind as another potential replacement part.

Also note that doing this will magnify any weaknessses in the box. If something hesitated a little before, or crunched a little before, you will be far more aware of it now.

The stock knob will not work, unless they machined the top of the shifter with a thread for you.