Vacuum regulator E3

GPD

Greg
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I need help with the part number for a vacuum regulator on my 1972 BMW Bavaria. RealOEM lists the number as #12111353118 but FCP Euro says this part does not match my car and Pell Parts says it cannot guarantee it fits my car.
Appreciate any wisdom.
Greg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've had good luck with BMW Northwest in Tacoma. Good prices and fast service. I'd call them and ask them about fitment to be sure. You have to order via the internet to get the best pricing, however.

What is the symptom that leads you to believe yours is defective?

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I have several distributors and it seems I have two types of VA cans. On my small body distributors the VA can is dual acting with both advance and retard functions. On the large body ones the vacuum regulator is retard only. I guess the can you use depends on the size of the distributor and the smog equipment you have.

Reactions: dp

GPD

Greg
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback. As for symptoms, they are not there yet. When I bought the car in late 2020 it had not be worked on or driven since 2007. Many of the engine pieces are 50 years old and crumbling. My hope is to have this as a day driver so most everything that doesn’t age well idle will need replacing sooner than later. I have asked my mechanic/friend to make a list of things likely needing replacing as I drive around the next couple years.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I suggest that it will be VERY expensive replacing every part that MAY fail in the next couple of years. The list for a 50 year old car would be pretty long. Test/evaluate any part that may be a concern before blindly replacing it. The only exceptions I can think of would be wear items like fan belts, soft fuel lines, brake hoses, etc. If you don't know for sure when these items were last replaced....replace them now.

Reactions: dp

GPD

Greg
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dick, You are my hero. I visit your flickr as often as I can to look at that restoration. Had I your knowledge and skill I would likely purchase extra steel, iron and rubber instead. What you have in skill I own in anxiety. I literally have two of the same pair of saddles in case my dogs take one into the woods. This is the only part my mechanic (who too has a wallop of respect from me) has suggested I bank. Unlikely I will ever understand my car like most of you, but I am studying.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Greg,
Good for you! Learning is half the fun. Keep at it.

If the vacuum regulator fails, you can get it in a couple of days from the dealer in Tacoma. You can test it now by attaching a hose to each vacuum port on it and sucking on it to see if it holds a vacuum.

Again, if you made a list of all the items that COULD fail in the next couple of years it would be a pretty long list. At least if the vacuum regulator fails the car is still driveable.

Reactions: GPD