Value of coupes

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a 2 condition door. The paint run in the 2nd photo is what keeps it from being #1. Other side as a similar dribble

The problem with all of us ([I'm very guilty), is that we get emotional about these cars when we're shopping. Cars that are actually #3 feel like #2 condition because we want to buy them.

#2- money for a coupe (IMHO, from the published guides) is around $12k-$15k. I know, it seems too low but ... I think if you look at what has sold in the last year (and ignore the few examples selling at the #1 and higher level), you'll find $15k is plenty to buy a really clean, well sorted coupe. $15k - $20k is enough for a clean, rust free, well sorted coupe. $26k should buy an immaculate, 98% new condition coupe. I have no quibble with people asking $>50k for a true nut & bolt restoration be those cars are in a completely different league...

Seeing 3 very nice coupes on LI this weekend (see cars for sale section) correlates to this kind of pricing.

Misc: here's a pic of the door on a car I bought last year. This is #2 condition (paint run in the jamb). See how clean the seams are? None of the LI coupes I saw were this good, but the 1972 CS could be with slective panel re-spraying and lots of detailing.

Attachments

• doorbottom.jpg
    doorbottom.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 127
  • jamb.jpg
    jamb.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Back