valve cover removal on D-jet m30

budgerian

Reaction score
This evening I attempted to remove the valve cover so I could adjust the valves tomorrow, but do I really have to remove the entire inlet manifold just to get the cover off?

The throttle body will not clear the four studs it's mounted on, so I can not get it out of the way and there is no way to remove the valve cover from underneath it.

Surely I am overlooking something here or am I....

Roger

Stefan

Reaction score
This evening I attempted to remove the valve cover so I could adjust the valves tomorrow, but do I really have to remove the entire inlet manifold just to get the cover off?

The throttle body will not clear the four studs it's mounted on, so I can not get it out of the way and there is no way to remove the valve cover from underneath it.

Surely I am overlooking something here or am I....

Roger

When I write this you might have found the solution.:)
It's tight, but with a tolerance of approx. 5mm you will get the valve cover off, without any major work.......

budgerian

Reaction score
While leaving the throttle body in place?

I can't seem to lift the valve cover over the top middle studs without hitting the throttle body first.
Guess i'll give it another shot tomorrow

Stefan

Reaction score
While leaving the throttle body in place?

I can't seem to lift the valve cover over the top middle studs without hitting the throttle body first.
Guess i'll give it another shot tomorrow

Yapp!

I think the studs are exchanged to longer ones, and you need to remove the manifolder or throttle body. Thottle body are perhaps minor work, because manifolder removal 5 times in a year make my back hurts..... :)

budgerian

Reaction score
See, that's my problem: Throttle body can not be removed, it will not clear the bottom studs holding it to the intake..

Guess i'll try to get the valvecover studs off tomorrow by putting two nuts on them, unless somebody comes up with a really neat trick to save me from unbolting the intake..

Roger

chicane

Reaction score
And what did you do to be able to pull the throttle body over the bottom two studs that hold it to the intake?

Brut force. No really, there are two rubber hoses that need to be either un-clamped and removed or more likely cut off (as close to the connection as possible). Then you have some part of the throttle body that hooks around the valve cover which makes it an even bigger pain to pull it out. But it will come off.

budgerian

Reaction score
Yes! and thank you Chicane for giving me the assurance it will work that way, because I would have not dared to pull any more on the throttle valve I hadn't known.

For those that stumble onto this problem in the future:
pull the throttle valve off the top two studs first, than off the bottom one on the right (radiator) side and pull the assembly forward and to the left to clear the left bottom stud. And yes, loosen the two hoses at the bottom of the throttle valve first.

Roger