Vent windows

damienh

Reaction score
Hi all, another dumb question, hoping someone has gone through this.

I'm dismantling the vent windows for re-chroming. I know how remove the glass from the inner frame, but at the base of the outer frame there are two screws on one side which come out easily, but on the other side there are two pretty serious looking rivet type things. I'm guessing I need to drill these out ? and if so, how on earth would I re-join the parts to reassemble ?

Hopefully the pictures help, thanks in advance for any help...

Attachments

• IMG_1833.jpg
    IMG_1833.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1837.jpg
    IMG_1837.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1838.jpg
    IMG_1838.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1839.jpg
    IMG_1839.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 129
VSR dismantled my 2002Tii vent windows and swore they would never do it again. Those blind rivets are a real PIA when reassembling.

Recommend consulting with the plating shop regarding whether they need to be disassembled to be re-chromed.

And if it comes down to it, I've had great luck with Hansen Rivets to replace those "serious" looking rivets. I haven't done these specific rivets (yet), but some others. They are very helpful.

Thanks, all great help. Yes, my first option is asking the shop if I can leave them in place, would be the ideal option. If they need to come out, I'll look into the Hanson rivets.

Regards,

Damien

So the shop actually asked me to refit the screws to make it one piece, because the current needs to run through it for the plating to work. So I didn't need to remove the rivets. So far so good.

Back