very happy new owner! :-) Chamonix CSL

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks pretty awesome to me! Congrats!

Q: do city pack cars have regular glass, but still the aluminum hood and doors (and trunklid?)?

Reaction score
Congrats for your acquisition. I manage the world E9 CSL registry. I would love to know more about the history of your car. You can find thousands of photos of CSLs at www.lezebre.eu, on the CSL section that will help understand patterns. And keep in mind, with CSLs the rule is that there is no rule. Best way to contact me is through the lezebre website.

Reaction score
Honest answer = don't know!

I really like them too and have changed my mind about 16" Alpina rims ( I love Alpinas but they're quite a price these days aren't they). I assumed they were BBS?? They're 15" and I don't think the offset is quite right so I don't think they're original though.

Plenty of jobs to do, but I do plan to drive it over the winter too, when dry and salt-free of course. Once the dealer sorts the fuelling and transmission I'll be well on the way.

Paint is not perfect, some nicks, knocks and cosmetic rust spots on the door skins.
Did you change the rims recently?

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Drew, welcome, congrats!, cheers, envy, envy....

Idea on gas smell; since it has FI the standard unburnt gas smell that comes from our jacked-up (buggered up) carbs may not be the issue, you mention the windows down smell, that is sometimes associated with a bad seal around the trunk- the windows open creates a vacuum and the exhaust can get sucked up into the trunk if the boot or seal is not correct. Since the car is "white" just lift the trunk and look for dark stains on the inner trunk lid above the exhaust pipe, if there is a stain from exhaust you may have found the issue. Also, note I use boot and trunk interchangeably since I think you're in England but have really no idea where Beaconsfield is- :)

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
thanks for that, I had not thought of the exhaust fumes being pulled into the boot (Beaconsfield is in England btw, a town about 20 miles west of London). I had thought that perhaps exhaust was somehow being drawn over the roof. Interesting point is that with the main window open = no fuel smell, but quarter light open = fuel smell

I had the car back with the garage/ dealer for a few weeks and they have tinkered a bit. They diagnosed a misfire, which I had not noted myself, and replaced the entire HT electrics system from coil to plugs. The fuel smell is a lot better after this so I think they were onto something. It will have to wait until Spring now though as the car is now on stands in my garage while I replace the clutch hydraulics, and I will also replace the brake fluid whilst the car is in for work, plus some other things. Winter in the UK means damp, salty roads, so the CSL is unlikely to be let out to play for a few months.

AFAIK city-pack CSLs have the aluminium opening panels, the light gauge steel panels (wings/ fenders and springy roof), and the light weight glass. However they also got a got of CSi equipment, like the electric windows, added back.... there will be folk on this forum who know a lot more than me.....

pat cooks

Reaction score
I don't think they had thinner glass on the UK city pack cars, maybe on Bats but even then I think they went to perspex for side windows, easy enough to check the glass with a vernier, I may be wrong on this..................... you may have a fuel tank leak, not unusual, anything from rusty seams to a hard rubber O ring on the sender, Pat

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
sometimes associated with a bad seal around the trunk- the windows open creates a vacuum and the exhaust can get sucked up into the trunk if the boot or seal is not correct.

Peter,

That comment is very timely for me. I spent the long Thanksgiving weekend trying to find an exhaust leak. Now that the weather has cooled a bit in Miami I have been driving with my window down but noticed an exhaust smell when driving to work last week. I could not find (or hear) any leak in the fairly new W&N exhaust but I did just recently add the 2 missing buffers to the underside of my trunk lid. I am sure it probably is not sealing properly so I will need to adjust the latch. The other contributing factor is that the trunk lid sticks out proud just ever so slightly. I will need to elongate the slotted holes to push it back just a little more.

Thanks,

Doug