VIN on a 73' Euro 3.0cs

Ephriam K. Williams

Reaction score
Can someone look up this VIN for me and find out why it keeps coming up as a E30 instead of a E9 3.0cs? This same number is everywhere on the car. What gives? Thank You for your time in this matter. Coupes up!

Oh here's the VIN: 2250493

RealOEM.com's VIN decoder cannot deal with VIN's prior to about 1974. My e9 comes up as an e30, my 10/74 production e12 530i comes up as a 10/74 production e12 530i...

If you want to confirm the VIN, use the VIN records on the CS Registry site -- E9 VIN Info

You can also email your VIN to BMW's historical division and they can tell you the type, color, manufacture date, and the sell date.

Hummmmm.

I thought that "ALL" 73's were euro's. Misinformation huh? Anyone know the color that this car came in originally? It is an automatic. Color is Colorado and leather is black. Even the instrumentation is in Deutch. I could have sworn that it was a Euro.I might get it for a parts car, I dunno. It has euro bumpers though?Hmmmm??Oh well. Thank You guys.

Regards,

I have had excellent and relatively quick responses from BMW Mobile Traditions. Send an email with your VIN number to them and they'll tell you the Mfg date, orginal color w/ paint code, delivery date and destination (which dealer ordered it). Entertaining to learn a car's 'provenance'.

URL: http://www.historicalarchive.bmw.com

I found out that my 2800cs was 'born' on the same date as my younger brother, so we HAVE to keep his recently discovered 'lost twin brother'!

Now, I'm trying to figure out how it got from Vienna to Los Angeles...any ideas on how to find the 'importer' or its original owner?

-shanon

Re: Hummmmm.

I thought that "ALL" 73's were euro's. Misinformation huh? Anyone know the color that this car came in originally? It is an automatic. Color is Colorado and leather is black. Even the instrumentation is in Deutch. I could have sworn that it was a Euro.I might get it for a parts car, I dunno. It has euro bumpers though?Hmmmm??Oh well. Thank You guys.

Regards,

There were no "euro bumpers" prior to 1974, just bumpers. The US cars got the park benches then, to meet the FMVSS changes. I think '73 US cars got slightly longer front bumper brackets. AFAIK there is no year of e9 production when there were no US cars, except perhaps very early in the 2800CS production and perhaps 1975 model year, where new e9's were still being made but US sales were the balance of '74 production. There were specific models we didn't get officially, i.e. the CSL's, the 3.0CSi, and the 2500CS.

Yep!!!!

It's definetely a US car! One of 738. Hmmmmm????Can't explain the german dash and instrumentation though???? A Canadian car maybe?? Hey, thier French, English, and German. I dunno??? LOL! Or the Non US type bumpers (Thanks V, Shanon, Mike, X and Riblett - LOL). You guys are great! I know if anyone can find out about this car it'll be you guys. I've always been a history buff. I think that I will look into this. If someone beats me to it, PLEASE, feel free to post the info here. As I'm really, really, interested to know! Thank You for your time in this matter gentlemen! God bless and coupes up!

Regards,

Back