Vintage Car Show at Lime Rock Park

racerxx

Reaction score
Well Gents do I have a nice story for you (nice for me anyway),

First off I attended the Vintage car show at Lime Rock Park today and the weather was perfect, so naturally there was a great showing. And of course I drove my '73 coupe accompanied by my 4 year old son and saw some very beautiful coupes and '02s. Two of the nicest were Len's '74 and Michael's green '72?, both excellent examples.

However, being a hardcore car guy it takes a lot to blow up my skirt and after seeing so many great cars I still really love our coupes. My other dream car (I'm also somewhat practical) is a Ferrari Dino. There were two today both spiders, I prefer the coupe.

So after the show my son and I went out to the parking field and across from my car is a perfect 1970 Dino coupe (red).

Well as usual some fellas start talking to me about my car and one guy in particular goes on and on, says goodbye and heads for the Dino. I tell him how much I like it and long story short, throws me the keys! This was the first time I've ever driven a Ferrari and it's the one I'd buy if I ever hit it big! Man that mid engine sounds beautiful behind your ears, she really likes the revs up!

It's been a good summer, I bought a Triumph Thruxton, and I ran into Keith Richards at my favorite restaurant a couple of weeks ago (he even signed a couple of Rolling Stone cd's I had in my car).

Best to all,

John Raho AKA Lucky Bastard
Westport, Connecticut

Roger S

Reaction score
Vintage at Limerock

I heard it was a hell of a weekend. Many of the 02 crowd have grown disappointed with the 02 fest as it was typically held one week after the Vintage and not many vendors as of late. Many have opted not to take the trip twice or simply could not. Unfortunately, I had to work and couldn't take out any of the toys.

There is always Captree (past Jones beach) for local (tri-state) guys; you can get your fill of Ferraris, Lamborghinis, American Muscle, Saleens, Audi R8s, a few vintage BMW's on occassion, etc.

Hats off to Duane Sword and Chuck Moss. I hear they took home 2nd and 3rd place (respectively for the Alpina and the agave green coupe) for all cars of that era. I was not told how many years were in the grouping. Hope everyone got home without incident.

Be well and exercise your coupes. Only a few weeks left for us Northeasterners.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, congrats to Duane and Chuck! It was nice to see coupes recognized. John, good to see you again. I'm sure you also saw the beautiful '74 Dino; prices have climbed in the last few years so they are now out of reach for many of us. Finally, met Jim, a closet coupe owner from the Adirondacks. Had a nice chat; he hopes to join us at future events.

TodB

Reaction score
LRP

A good time had by all!

A great showing of coupes both on the track and in the parking areas. There were 6 of us showing or displaying including a 2000CS. Overall, a terrific showing for the Northeast E9 crowd. Yea!

Lots of other interesting cars of all marques and ages (too many to list) which makes this show a must attend every year. Lots of interesting cars in the parking areas as well. Someone certainly has an in with the weather Gods. Such a beautiful day and it seems that way every year.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Addessing--"smitten by the Dino"--my take

A real life experience I had with a Dino follows--

In 1983 I came across a very nicely maintained Dino For Sale by a young nuclear engineer in San Clements, CA--just 2 or 3 blocks from my sons place.

Seems he had spent considerable time in Europe over-seeing several nuclear power plant installations--impressive career accomplishment for that young man--was then a key engineer at the newly commissioned nuclear power plant in San Clemente--was single and had been very well paid for his work and when in Switzerland he had purchased two new Dinos when the 1974's (believe that was the year) were introduced--one a standard model--the other their limited edition--one of 50 as I recall his declaration--that he had stored unused at his parents home near Pacific Palisades, CA. The plain jane was for sale with about 20K on the speedo and he was asking $20,000--I was intrigued and left my M-1 with him as a deposit with the understanding that I wanted to give the D a road test of about 100 miles or so--agreed--drove to Orange, then to Newport Beach and returned to San Clemente covering the 100 miles. It was in the days when traffic was much lighter so was able to move about smartly as I ran the 2 or 3 errands on my test drive. Wow--beautiful to look at--made nice sounds--but terrible on the back and backside for that short drive of 100 miles so was "cured" of my infatuation with those beautiful lines.

Bottom line--I thanked him for his generosity and left with my M-1--no deal on the Dino--as a driver when compared to the M-1--no comparison--same with my BLUMAX--the Dino simply didn't deliver except in its beauty. Still holds true today--lovely to look at and seduces with its beauty--but disappoints in the drive--perhaps similar to a beauty queen in many ways--been awhile since trying that drive.

racerxx

Reaction score
I Know That Road

BlueMax,

Thanks for trying to make me feel better, but I'm still pining away for that rolling work of art.

I had a similar experience back when I lived in Mission Veijo California in the mid 80s. Back then I saw one for sale in Laguna Beach for 25K.

I bet I know what hiway you took to Orange; The Santiago Canyon Hiway. That's a great road, I use to drive it when I lived in Mission Veijo and worked in Orange, unfortunately I was driving a 1986 Fiero GT (still a mid engine).

Thanks for bring back some old memories.

Warm Regards, John Raho - Westport, Connecticut

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can remember trying to convince my Dad, that at $30K, we should buy a Dino as an investment. That was just a ploy, because I was really in love with that design; truly one of the greatest of all time. I would trade speed for its agility and form any day...

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went on Saturday (race day) and was a little disappointed. The event has been downscaled from year's past. I estimate attendance to be 50% of last year with a few 02's in the corral, and not a coupe to be seen anywhere.

Henry Schmitt's '74 3.5CSL was in the program, but it appears he didn't make the trip from San Francisco....bummer.

Still a great day overall with a symphony of music staged by several Ferrari's and others.

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Rolex Concours at LimeRock

Yup, definitely a great day. An awesome and diverse array of eye candy.

Of course, nothing beats being in the company of coupes. Finally having some of the East Coast Coupesters, Len and Michael and Todd at the same event really helped make a statement that coupes are much more than a passing fad.
I didn't get the fellows name but we even had a black 2000CS. All the coupes on display evoked drool worthy responses. Who knows what may happen to coupe values if all the East Coast coupe lurkers finally put their cars on display?

Duane Sword's Alpina CS is simply amazing, and visible confirmation of Mario Langsten recent work, much like the work on Todd's 2800 a few years ago.

The category groupings were a little strange, as some BMW's and a number of 2002's were in a different group. However, all the coupes were all in the Foreign Car closed 1968 to 1976 category, along with the strongest and deepest group of cars I've seen at one place in some time. Rolex at LimeRock really did well this year.

Even so, that Duane's Alpina only took 2nd place was shocking, as I couldn't imagine a better car. It did, however, provide a balanced perspective of my own 3rd place finish with the knowledge that two coupes took two out of the 3 prizes in the entire category. Yup, coupes have arrived, and we ain't going nowhere.

Since I typically only see what's wrong with my Agave, for the moment I can also actually accept a measure of affirmation for what's right with it. I now have unique view of the obsession that drives coupe owners like Len and Michael, previous concours winners, to constantly refine and update their already pristeen coupes....LOL

Now if we can just find someone for routine maintenance...

Be well,

Chuck

P.S. East Coast Coupesters: Next Concours event is in Fairfield Ct., Sept 20-21.

http://fairfieldcountyconcours.com/

My Agave and Duane's Alpina
44bb01497c6f7f600f3d0dc80639e415.gif

Duanes lustworthy powerplant
f7683a4b0ca86b502e9681c8604b6d5a.gif

Hood up and not ashamed
937ef98908781360d663e0e201124d6b.gif

Duane has documented the birth of his Alpina baby
05cbc22dcbc161ddcdadbc3c26f1bcee.gif

Coupes in good company
3ad90fb08575d9fbe028a74c2c828efd.gif

Looking is okay, just don't scratch the paint
bb0106b03d3628e833ac7c15d9e774b6.gif

Judges judging:
27fe76583afd833e009a726fdfc1d5e2.gif

Todd's 2800:
374740e66c7c8d4c083f768efd02ae21.gif

Attachments

• 44bb01497c6f7f600f3d0dc80639e415.gif
    44bb01497c6f7f600f3d0dc80639e415.gif
    4 KB · Views: 87

iconoclast6

Reaction score
I hope to be there as well...but I'm not certain yet. I don't think any of the
coupes should have a problem being accepted.

Hey John, Did I miss meeting you at LimeRock. If you were parked up with the '02's I didn't see your car.

Including you, I think we've now got at least 12 to 15 or so publicly displayed coupes from Maine to Virginia. Hmmn, is this a takover of the BMW classic car category from '02's?

It will be great when we all show up en masse...

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Found out last night that Fairfield is no longer accepting applications; they've been full for weeks...