Vinyl covered section of dash?

Roger S

Reaction score
I am catching hell trying to source the lower section of wood "shelf" for the dash, which is covered in vinyl, to finish my wood resurrection and reveneer. If anyone has one that I can buy or one that I can borrow, I would greatly appreciate it. The vinyl does not have to be on the section and/or it can be shot. I just need to be able to replicate, size, width, grooves, hog outs, etc. If you have your dash out, and I can use it to make a new section, I would be forever grateful. Please PM or email me: rnscotlandathotmail.com.

This is the section that spans the width of the car/dash; it supports the gauge cluster as well as the small section of wood by the driver side, and the longer section of wood that features the speaker cut out.

If you are in or around Goleta, CA, even better. I can have the wood section back to you in a few days.

Thank you in advance and be well.

Roger

howdy,

Did ya try Coupe Guy in CO?
He's pretty good at having 'odd' or hard to get CS stuff.

Good Luck,

-shanon

vinyl-covered plywood "tray"

Gee Roger, do you mean that simply complex piece that the far left part is rotten that is slowing down MY dash re-do as well? If I cant figure out how to graft on to mine, and I start from scratch on a new one, I might try a couple of them, but its going to be later part of Oct. at best. I will post if it happens. Good luck in the mean time.

Dave, not that section but mine was pretty feathered as well. The tooling is present to make a new one. If you hit me off line, I will contact the folks doing mine to see if they will add a duplicate section and find out the cost to make a new one for you. If you piggy back on mine, you probably wont get killed on price.

I am speaking about the long section or shelf that one would rest their keys on. It is usually bonded w/glue to the long section of wood, but due to age most just unfastend screws to get it out. Not the wood section that faces us in the car with the speaker cut out but what it mounts to, wow! I suck, if I could simply put up a picture - I obviously am not doing describing it well.

Here: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,346630/#346630 It's the piece with the three small slats to stop things from rolling around the dash shelf. Its visible in the first shot but not in the second. That's the piece that I need, which most still have in tact when they are fixing their wood/dash. Mine was so bad that instead of being one long flat section, it was two feathered pieces breaking apart from the gaugle cluster to the left window. Most vendors don't have the tooling for it because ... that section is never requested.

Thanks for the plug Shanon, as a matter of fact I can supply a brand new repro of the bottom board with correct grain new black vinyl made from marine plywood which should never rot again. Email me at [email protected] for prices, pics, further info or whatever. As Shanon knows, lots of work involved in fabricating the wood piece itself, very complex. Anyone else interested in one is welcome to contact me as well.

Back