Viscous Fan Issue: I got no answers in the E3 section so....

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Figured I can move this here since it will apply to the E9 as well.

I have the setup shown on my E3. I am clearly missing something as the fan shim/coupling fits into the bearing so loosely when tightened that the fan has play front to back and periodically rubs on the radiator fins. Also so loose that the coupling will spin freely without turning the bearing when completely tightened down. The bearing itself seems fine, smooth and zero play.

IMG_4581.jpg

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
The Google translation is amusing but for the most part, unhelpful. The dimensions given are identical to mine. At this point, I plan to make a shim to cover the difference between the OD of the coupler and the ID of the bearing on the viscous fan. Amazing that the fan has been rendered almost useless but I have not overheated.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Figured I can move this here since it will apply to the E9 as well.

I have the setup shown on my E3. I am clearly missing something as the fan shim/coupling fits into the bearing so loosely when tightened that the fan has play front to back and periodically rubs on the radiator fins. Also so loose that the coupling will spin freely without turning the bearing when completely tightened down. The bearing itself seems fine, smooth and zero play.

IMG_4581.jpg
Widely discussed in our forum in english too

Try a search in the e9 section

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Google translation is amusing but for the most part, unhelpful. The dimensions given are identical to mine. At this point, I plan to make a shim to cover the difference between the OD of the coupler and the ID of the bearing on the viscous fan. Amazing that the fan has been rendered almost useless but I have not overheated.
Switch to the screw-on viscous clutch and water pump? It's way easier to get on and off. And cheaper too. Or the one that Don is using now.