W&N/Fritz Bitz center exhaust delete

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So I love my W&N exhaust, it replaces the stock setup with the front, small center, and large rear mufflers. Sounds nice, but I wanted to "kick it up a notch" so to speak so I brought my car to a custom exhaust shop and had them make a piece out of stainless (with an O2 sensor bung which I also have in the stock piece) to replace the small center resonator. This section bolts in so no welding needed and I can replace the original in about 10 minutes. It sounds even better now, not loud or annoying, just a little more throat/burble/Porsche 928-esque. :cool:

Stock piece:

IMG_1294.jpg

Replacement pipe:

IMG_1513.JPG

That's cool, however I'm considering doing that to the center muffler to gain more ground clearance

Today I addressed the "droop" that I and others have noted about these stainless exhausts systems. It seems to hang down too low so I set out to fix this and it is quite easy to do so. Loosen the bolts for the downpipes to the front muffler flanges, the flange on the back of the front muffler, and the connection from the middle muffler (in my case a pipe as above) to the rear muffler. This will allow for quite a lot of adjustment. I propped the front muffler touching up against the bottom of the car with some wood (how about all that undercoating!):

IMG_1562.jpg

Then I tightened the downpipes to front muffler flange while a friend pushed up and held it in place. Finally the rear muffler in-pipe is tightened. The result is a perfectly straight setup (the front muffler will drop down a little from the body and not touch), all pipes horizontal, and the exhaust is no longer the lowest point of my car, that is now the front subframe which it's supposed to be:

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

All tidy and tucked in.

Attachments

• IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
That's odd re the O2 sensor bung - I recently took delivery of a complete stainless steel exhaust set from W&N but pretty sure I didn't notice an O2 sensor bung in this center muffler. Presumably it should have?

That's odd re the O2 sensor bung - I recently took delivery of a complete stainless steel exhaust set from W&N but pretty sure I didn't notice an O2 sensor bung in this center muffler. Presumably it should have?

Might be a difference between RHD & LHD? Mine didn't have it either.

Today I addressed the "droop" that I and others have noted about these stainless exhausts systems. It seems to hang down too low so I set out to fix this and it is quite easy to do so. Loosen the bolts for the downpipes to the front muffler flanges, the flange on the back of the front muffler, and the connection from the middle muffler (in my case a pipe as above) to the rear muffler. This will allow for quite a lot of adjustment. I propped the front muffler touching up against the bottom of the car with some wood (how about all that undercoating!):

View attachment 141156

Then I tightened the downpipes to front muffler flange while a friend pushed up and held it in place. Finally the rear muffler in-pipe is tightened. The result is a perfectly straight setup (the front muffler will drop down a little from the body and not touch), all pipes horizontal, and the exhaust is no longer the lowest point of my car, that is now the front subframe which it's supposed to be:

View attachment 141158

View attachment 141159

View attachment 141160

All tidy and tucked in.
That tucks up nicely. The center resonator in my Coupe King exhaust is too low, and its because of the angle on the connection pipe at the front of the resonator. I had one of my Humvee scissors jacks on it and still couldn't get it high enough. I need to get to a good exhaust shop and have that fixed.

No I had the bung installed in the stock center piece as well. It does not come with a bung.

The Fritz is in the Malaga coupe and sounds lovely but very similar to the factory setup with all three cans. And my muffler guy hung it up nice and tight. The factory system is now in the Chamonix coupe too, only issue was the hour I spent trying to get the tailpipe hanger attached, it’s no place for fingers.

The Fritz is in the Malaga coupe and sounds lovely but very similar to the factory setup with all three cans. And my muffler guy hung it up nice and tight. The factory system is now in the Chamonix coupe too, only issue was the hour I spent trying to get the tailpipe hanger attached, it’s no place for fingers.
Yeah that's why I removed the little middle muffler, gives it a little "extra" with still sounding in the neighborhood of stock.

Back