WANT TO BUY E9 DOOR STOP/ DOOR CATCH... BMW Called this a DOOR BRAKE

execmalibu

Reaction score
I need a door stop or door catch. The part that stops the door from going to far open and holds the door half way open. It is on the of the front of the door between the hinges... BMW calls this a Door Brake. The new replacement part from BMW look different then the original.

What you got?

[email protected]

Jeff

The Door brake from Carl are the new type... Look nothing like the original.

I was hoping for a nice used original...

The new ones that are available from BMW/Mercedes look totally different..

door stops

When I worked at the BMW dealer as a tech ( we worked on E9 as a regular car, daily drivers back then ) we used to fill the steel hoop part full of wheel bearing grease. It softened the "cracking " sound when you fuly opened the door and it actually helped in keeping them from breaking.

The newer style ones should also be greased but you dont have to use as much. As the ends that you grease are on the inside of the door you won't get a mess, just make sure not to put too much on that it carries to the window.

Thanks Rick

The newer door brakes (same design as fitted on the E24 and other BMWs of that era) will outlast the life of your coupe whereas if you were to keep your CS for the next 20 years, you'll probably have to change them 4 to 5 times at the minimum. My 88 M6 still has its original door brakes and they will probably still be working 25 years from now if it is still on the road then.

With everything being said, if you still want an original door brake, I have one nice one that was taken off the passenger door about 7 years ago when my coupe was converted to the newer version. Believe it was installed by the PO shortly before I purchased my coupe back in 2002. It's in excellent condition and does not show much (if any) wear and tear . $45 shipped. Paypal only. Can post some pictures if interested.

A couple of pics
5895508909_7442277714_b.jpg

5895506841_2695553bf8_b.jpg

Bert... I will buy it

Bert I will buy your door stop... Where do I paypal the $45...

Still could use another one as a spare...

Back