Wanted: AC compressor

Tomme9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Howdy - in final stretch of resto and looking to replace the ac compressor on my 74 e9 3.0cs. If anyone has a good one - rebuilt is fine too - please let me know.

Also - if anyone has a good resource to buy one domestically I’d be grateful for the info. as well.

Thanks as always. -Tom

Attachments

• IMG_4742.jpeg
    IMG_4742.jpeg
    552.2 KB · Views: 18
Tom, are you looking for an old OEM York style compressor? If so I have one that you could have for a small donation to the forum, but it would likely require refurbishment and is quite heavy to ship.

If you are looking for a newer style Sanden compressor which is much more efficient to operate and takes up much less room there are some sources below.

TBI products
Nostalgic Air

Tom, are you looking for an old OEM York style compressor? If so I have one that you could have for a small donation to the forum, but it would likely require refurbishment and is quite heavy to ship.

If you are looking for a newer style Sanden compressor which is much more efficient to operate and takes up much less room there are some sources below.

TBI products
Nostalgic Air
Outstanding-I think I’ll go new version. Really appreciate the insight.

There are some very helpful links on the forum.

You will need to source a few items:
a BMW wing cell bracket: part # 64-52-1-284-953
a bracket that is made by a forum member here @Layne (see link below)

You should also consider getting a parallel flow condenser if you don't already have one.

Here are a couple of information sources:
Layne's Bracket: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/sanden-compressor-conversion-brackets.34898/
AC upgrade with sanden style compressor: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/d...compressor-and-parallel-flow-condenser.38364/

The 1974 model uses a different compressor. We call it the “torpedo“ because of shape and size. I can’t think of any reason to use one and last I checked it was $1000.00

install a real Sanden- not Chinese.

highly recommend what @boonies and @sfdon are recommending. the best advice i can give you is to upgrade the whole thing at one time, the performance improvement is worthwhile. the Layne bracket is wonderful, the parallel flow condenser is so much more efficient, using a new spal (pusher) electric fan and the true sanden compressor. my understanding is that you can buy a full set of everything (one stop shopping) from our friend @sfdon ... including new hoses.

I have a Seltec compressor, which the place where I bought it says as good as a Sanden, he could have gotten Sanden as well. IIRC it was about $175 and set up for R12 of which I have 5 cans ready to use when I finish installing the system

I’ve had a chinese Sanden on my car for 14 years and working fine. So depending on your expected use and desire to drop coin on the real deal, it’s a budget option.

I’ve had a chinese Sanden on my car for 14 years and working fine. So depending on your expected use and desire to drop coin on the real deal, it’s a budget option.
I think the sander sounds great. I’ll research the installation posts. Thanks all!

There are some very helpful links on the forum.

You will need to source a few items:
a BMW wing cell bracket: part # 64-52-1-284-953
a bracket that is made by a forum member here @Layne (see link below)

You should also consider getting a parallel flow condenser if you don't already have one.

Here are a couple of information sources:
Layne's Bracket: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/sanden-compressor-conversion-brackets.34898/
AC upgrade with sanden style compressor: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/d...compressor-and-parallel-flow-condenser.38364/

Tom-- I have a York rotary compressor and bracket you can have for a donation to the Forum + shipping from Ft/ Lauderdale. I replaced my entire A/C system with @sfdon's system. Now I have almost full power and comfortable temps in 95 degrees- 90% humidity South Florida. The old system probably similar to yours will work fine in Oklahoma from Nov. to Feb. only if you just replace the compressor.. You also should look into XPEL window tint for all of your glass.

Back