Wanted: Getrag 265 overdrive 5 speed gearbox

dj_efk

Reaction score
Due to my father thinking the one I had in his garage was worthless junk and taking it to the dump(!!!!), I’m on the hunt for another. Needs to be mechanical speedo / able to be converted of course.

What’s out there? I’m based in UK so realistically I’m probably looking for one in Europe. Can anyone provide me with any possible leads on one?

frogisland

Reaction score

shermanmartinez

Reaction score
I have an excellent Getrag 265/6 overdrive 5 speed transmission. Very clean with 166K miles on it. It has the mechanical speedo drive. I also have the bellhousing, shift plate, selector lever, clutch fork, and linkage . Located in Vacaville,CA. Email me for pictures: shermanmartinez at Hotmail dot com

dj_efk

Reaction score
Hi Sherman

Im in the UK so although I’d of course be interested to understand how much you’d want for all this, I suspect that with the cost of shipping to the UK, the total would be prohibitive.

I may be pleasantly surprised of course, so do PM me when you get a chance.

Thanks
David

dj_efk

Reaction score
Noted a couple recently at about £800 that struggled to sell (but are sold now).

This one looks reasonable

Thanks, have written to them for details. Apparently it has 160k miles on it, I wonder if it would need a complete rebuild?

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought one from Sherman because it had the bell housing, very nicely cleaned up
The shift platform wasn't the right one for a E9 conversion though, no big deal
So I have an extra one to sell at this point, but unfortunately for you, also in the US

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought one from Sherman because it had the bell housing, very nicely cleaned up
The shift platform wasn't the right one for a E9 conversion though, no big deal
So I have an extra one to sell at this point, but unfortunately for you, also in the US
Hey Mark, this is interesting, can you be more specific regards the shift platform not being the right one for E9 conversion? Thanks

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
apparently the 265 was used on (edit: several different) BMWs, they didn't all have the same shift platform
The tranny I bought from Sherman just had one that was too long or short, don't remember,
The shift lever wouldn't align with the hole in the tunnel
You need to get the one from Carl's write up

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK, thanks. Just read that again. He states "the following is a list of the parts required to install a five speed overdrive transmission into a CS" So this is not a dogleg, (that is a 265/5, AFAIK,) but I read that some prefer the dogleg, so they must have a way to accommodate. Am I to surmise that it is the shifter components that must match up? If a Getrag 265/6 has been sourced from a 7 series or 6 series, it seems these shifter parts will need to be swapped from the 528i setup, but I would think the gearbox itself could still be used. Can someone who has done this please confirm? Thanks. Mike

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know too much about it, regarding 6 and 7 series
I think Sherman said the one I bought was from a 5 series
The length of the shifter platform, from where it attaches to the end of the transmission was not compatible
And the shift rod needs to match the length of the platform, I bought one from 'Oversteer'

Wladek

Reaction score
All BMW Getrags 265/6 (overdrive) will fit E9, but not all BMW Getrags 265/5 (dogleg) will straight fit E9. Of course i mean fully stock setup (bellhousing & speedo).
265/6 was build specifically for M30 motor
265/5 was build for M30/M88, but also for S14 (M3), that is totally different motor, that's why the second will not fit M30 E9

Last edited:

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
All BMW Getrags 265/6 (overdrive) will fit E9, but not all BMW Getrags 265/5 (dogleg) will fit E9.
265/5 was build for M30, but also for S14 (M3), that is totally different motor, that's why the second will not fit M30 E9
Ahh, this is very helpful Wladek, thanks! I just sourced a 265/6 from a Euro 730, with M30 motor, so this gives me confidence.

dj_efk

Reaction score
OK I have just pulled the trigger on the one that @frogisland suggested after a lengthy discussion - It will come with the correct bellhousing, clutch fork etc. and shifter mechanism.

Seller is located in Lithuania of all places - he says that it came out of an E12 despite having 230k KMs on it (140-145k miles), it doesn't need anything other than a cautionary set of seals before installation (I know these transmissions are very strong, but is that even possible?!). He did show me a photo of the drain plug undone and some of the oil draining out of it which looked fairly healthy and free of swarf.

I won't divulge what I paid but if that's true then I'm happy. I will also renew the shifter / gear lever bushes as a precaution - I believe there is a "prep" article covering the work that needs to be done in the tech section.

buddha

Site Donor $
Reaction score
All BMW Getrags 265/6 (overdrive) will fit E9, but not all BMW Getrags 265/5 (dogleg) will fit E9.
265/5 was build for M30, but also for S14 (M3), that is totally different motor, that's why the second will not fit M30 E9

Won’t both models bolt to multiple engines (m10, m20, m30 & s14) by using the appropriate (detachable ) bell housing?

frogisland

Reaction score
Good to hear df_efk. I've recommended Neil at AllGears in Worksop for rebuilds previously, he has done many of mine. If you wanted to go down that route he is as good as any, although extremely busy.

Wladek

Reaction score
Won’t both models bolt to multiple engines (m10, m20, m30 & s14) by using the appropriate (detachable ) bell housing?
Yes, naturally, in my previous post i was just reffering to the stock setup (not upgraded (changed bellhousing or mechanical speedo).

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I won't divulge what I paid but if that's true then I'm happy. I will also renew the shifter / gear lever bushes as a precaution - I believe there is a "prep" article covering the work that needs to be done in the tech section.

For US, I've paid $800 and $1250 in the past 6 mos. No apparent carnage from scoping around inside them. Overpaid for the $1250 one given uncertainty of condition, but I was starting to hand-wring about finding one & stumbled on it while in Colorado. Bought $800 one at Sayther's in Austin 1 month later. I believe he may have more. They'll spin it and look inside, but otherwise, they don't have much history. John & Noah there were very up front, treated my 75 yr old mother like a queen, boxed & wrapped in 1/2" of plastic wrap & loaded it in her trunk. We shall see...

dj_efk

Reaction score
For US, I've paid $800 and $1250 in the past 6 mos. No apparent carnage from scoping around inside them. Overpaid for the $1250 one given uncertainty of condition, but I was starting to hand-wring about finding one & stumbled on it while in Colorado. Bought $800 one at Sayther's in Austin 1 month later. I believe he may have more. They'll spin it and look inside, but otherwise, they don't have much history. John & Noah there were very up front, treated my 75 yr old mother like a queen, boxed & wrapped in 1/2" of plastic wrap & loaded it in her trunk. We shall see...

I’m in your ballpark with bellhousing and clutch fork AND including shipping from Lithuania to the U.K. - Seller assures me the box was quiet in use and all I need to do is a precautionary input & output shaft seal renewal. He sent me lots of pics including one with the oil drain removed and a sample of the oil that came out of it - He was great to deal with and has another on ebay as I write this so I will publicise his email address in the parts section for others to follow up on if they wish.

What clutch plates will fit this? The E12 528i ones I can find are stupid money, I’m sure others that are more reasonable would fit?

I managed to find a new Sachs pressure plate and LUK release / throughout bearing for about £55 delivered which is a score!

Last edited: