Wanted: Zenith Carbs

phead82

Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to rebuild my carbs ('74 US spec CS with original engine, carbs, transmission) but don't want any down time on my CS (I love driving it!!) hence would be looking for some Zeniths that fit my car.

I found these on German ebay, the seller though told me that apparently they wouldn't fit:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-Classic-...fits=Make:BMW|Platform:E9&hash=item51b17a757e

Does anybody know whether that's true or has anybody some Zenith
carbs for sale?

I also found some on US ebay but almost 400$ seems a little steep to me.

Any thoughts?

I'd appreciate any help I could get sourcing some Zeniths.

Thanks!

Patrick

Hi,

I'd like to rebuild my carbs ('74 US spec CS with original engine, carbs, transmission) but don't want any down time on my CS (I love driving it!!) hence would be looking for some Zeniths that fit my car.

I found these on German ebay, the seller though told me that apparently they wouldn't fit:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-Classic-...fits=Make:BMW|Platform:E9&hash=item51b17a757e

Does anybody know whether that's true or has anybody some Zenith
carbs for sale?

I also found some on US ebay but almost 400$ seems a little steep to me.

Any thoughts?

I'd appreciate any help I could get sourcing some Zeniths.

Thanks!

Patrick
I have a set on a '72 parts car, don't know if they will work on
a '74. $120. plus shipping from seattle.

anton

I’m just curious :?: why almost any Zenith carbs I’ve seen for sale on eBay always have the manifolds attached ? Are they tuff to unbolt from the manifolds ? Being that I assume the manifolds don’t wear out, it seems like an odd way to offer them for sale considering the higher shipping costs. What am I missing here ?

Also is there anyone reputable and not crazy expensive that rebuilds them ? I bought my car with the down-draft Weber conversion…… the air cleaner rubs the hood and they run too rich so I’m not really thrilled with the conversion. Playing with the idea :idea: of going back to stock Zeniths. Thoughts anyone ? ~ John Buchtenkirch

I’m just curious :?: why almost any Zenith carbs I’ve seen for sale on eBay always have the manifolds attached ? Are they tuff to unbolt from the manifolds ? Being that I assume the manifolds don’t wear out, it seems like an odd way to offer them for sale considering the higher shipping costs. What am I missing here ?

true, it is very easy to unbolt them, but,..that is the case, they usually sell them that way, anyway not sure how much the shipping costs will go down if removed, there is a certain point in which the key issue is the size of the box, and you´d better not pack two zeniths touching one to one...

Also is there anyone reputable and not crazy expensive that rebuilds them ? I bought my car with the down-draft Weber conversion…… the air cleaner rubs the hood and they run too rich so I’m not really thrilled with the conversion. Playing with the idea :idea: of going back to stock Zeniths. Thoughts anyone ? ~ John Buchtenkirch

do not know in your area,...as a thougth about expenses, i am continously rebuilding zeniths, (i have some sets prepared for future needs...), and even though the final assembly is nice, all the cleaning and polishing surfaces, tiny holes, is dirty, and...a lot of work, so probably if i have to ask money (i won´t) for doing it well (i assume that once on it you want to have a good rebulid of your carbs, right ?) it will be a lot of money. Moreover for each set i have had to repair/buy expensive spares/or use parts from other sets, so I understand that any rebuilder will consider the risks and...

Thanks! This will be incredibly valuable (even though I do not speak a single word spanish)!

Do you still happen to have the disassemble manual mentioned in that post though - in case you are allowed to pass it on of course?:

"...all this was done following the zenith disasemble instruction manual provided by mr. porsche61, thank you very much"

http://www.e9coupe.com/tech/zeniths/bmw1/bmw1.html

Don't forget to make sure the bodies of the carbs are true, lay them on a flat surface (I used granite counter) and check for light underneath. If warped then put some very fine grit (500 or so) sandpaper down and wet sand them until perfectly flat.

After the bodies are assembled wait 24 hours or so and retighten the bottom 4 bolts that go up, the gaskets can compress.

Ask questions here as you go. Try the Royze kits, the Walkers are junk.

Thanks! This will be incredibly valuable (even though I do not speak a single word spanish)!

Do you still happen to have the disassemble manual mentioned in that post though - in case you are allowed to pass it on of course?:

"...all this was done following the zenith disasemble instruction manual provided by mr. porsche61, thank you very much"

Just that you have a pro rebuilding them AND they look like art pieces. Depends on what the rest of your engine compartment looks like and if you plan on driving your car a lot, it's all downhill from there looks-wise once the miles pile up. Also, the stock air cleaner hides a lot, unlike a set of triple webers where they're quite visible.

Much obliged!

Do you guys think having the parts micropolished is necessary? As seen here:

http://www.paltech1.com/index.html

Is there any advantag to that procedure, other than giving them a nicer finish?

Since I haven't owned it for too long I didn't really get around yet to dig in and solve any cosmetic issues - and there are a lot. Also in the engine compartment.
But I am not planning on making my coupe a beauty queen but a solid and reliable driver, that's btw. also nice to look at (hopefully, eventually) :neutral:
But first and foremost it should be reliable with most of its issues solved.

@ Chris: I'll happily take some of the extra wool you've got - thanks for the offer!

IMO, the rebuild requires being tuned in to detail and organization but if you have that in your personality, it is not difficult at all to do. Actually a rewarding experience because you notice and immediate improvement.

Hi guys,

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my carbs (turned our dinner table into a work bench - there gotta be some advantages to having the family currently abroad). Overall a very detail oriented and time intense procedure but with the right amount of organization not too big a deal.

Having said that I am facing the decision now whether to either plate my existing bolts and small bits 'n bobs (some of them in not too good condition anymore) or to buy them new (preferred) - if still available.

Does anybody know of a good online source for Zenith spares (jets, bolts, etc.) or are they interchangeable with parts of other carburetor brands, e.g. Weber?

Thanks so much!

Patrick

Hi guys,

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my carbs (turned our dinner table into a work bench - there gotta be some advantages to having the family currently abroad). Overall a very detail oriented and time intense procedure but with the right amount of organization not too big a deal.

Having said that I am facing the decision now whether to either plate my existing bolts and small bits 'n bobs (some of them in not too good condition anymore) or to buy them new (preferred) - if still available.

Does anybody know of a good online source for Zenith spares (jets, bolts, etc.) or are they interchangeable with parts of other carburetor brands, e.g. Weber?

Thanks so much!

Patrick

hi patrick,

nothing like bolts,and so on is actually available as spares, those heads are very special

the maximum you can get are the whole set of gaskets, some of the membranes, some rubbers, the solenoids, fuel mini-pump, floater valve...

i always clean and reuse the bolts, no need to rechrome them unless heavily rusted

it will be a good idea to identlfy the bits that you really need, i mean those ones that are essential for the carbs, if you post some pics, we probably can help you better

Thanks for the link - very helpful!

Found the idling jet I need, unfortunately no bolts.

@ deQuincey: I might need to get another another set of Zeniths and then just pick and choose the "nicest" parts in the best possible condition and then just bolt 'them together to have one good pair of carburetors.
Some of the parts seem to have a little too much play already (or maybe I'm just overly picky, but I simply want to get things right) whereas others (throttle lever) seem to be bent a bit (I tried to bend them back).
Not sure whether that affects their function though or it's simply their cosmetics which bother me.
I will need to re-thread 2 of the bodies as well, since I discovered 2 stripped threads on them.

Anyway - I guess I will source another set of Zeniths and then take it from there (maybe can use those bodies, hence not needing to re-thread).

The wetsanding of the bodies was a good tip btw. - thanks!
Also the bronze wool from HB Chris did wonders - thanks again!

I'll keep you guys posted with my progress and might post some pictures along with it too.

I really hope rebuilding the carburetors gets me the results I'm hoping for - the idle on my car sucks (worse than David's first video of his car idling in my opinion)! So does the pickup above idle when pushing the accelerator paddle :(
According to my mechanic my car "runs beautiful". Well, I really don't think so.
I guess it's either time to look for a new mechanic or start doing things myself... hence the carburetor rebuild.

Thanks for all you help, I really appreciate it!

Patrick

Back