Warning: Worst / most misleading product name in restoration world: Weld-Through primer

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Like a fool, I bought some SEM Zinc weldthrough primer to apply to some metal pieces we had to weld. “Great! This is a primer and we can weld right through it. Kill two stones with one bird!”. After reading the confusing information on the can, and based on Chris @tygaboy ’s experience we decided to sand that stuff off from the general areas we were about to weld. Afterwards, as I was about to start painting, I found out that you also have to remove it from any areas where paint will be applied! So why the hell even apply it in the first place???

I spent/wasted a bunch of time researching the issue on the web and, as usual, there is all kinds of contradicting info out there: “Yes, you weld right through it, no problem.” “I would never weld anything to that crap.” “It’s a primer so just paint right over it.” etc.

Finally I found this fairly authoritative video from 3M. I say authoritative because since it is put out by a major manufacturer, they have liability hanging over their head so the odds are they are going to make sure that what they say is at least not completely wrong. Here the guy explains the correct use of it. And in the process, he clearly admits that it is neither “weld-through” nor “primer”

Live and learn

I never understood what its purpose was. I have a flux welder so I have to clean my welds anyway. I just assumed that if it got caught in your weld pool, it would not weaken the weld......so no harm but upside ?

I too never use it.
I just weld on fresh steel. I wirebrush it, even when it is already completely free of (visual) rust. There is always microscopic rust, I try to get that out as much as I can.
Then do the weld. Then drown it in a tough paint called Brantho Korrux. They have 2 types: Nitrofest (sandable, so for outer panels) and 3 in 1 (remains a bit flexible, so for inside cavities)

I use something different for spotwelds, it's called 'Europax' and is bitumen with copper particles. It seals tight around the spotweld. Smells like asphalt...

I used a zinc rich weld-through primer on all of the seams when I spot-welded the brackets and front fenders on. I had no problems welding or painting afterwards.

SEM Zinc weldthrough primer
here is an overview of OEM’s who do and don’t recommend it’s use.

Toyota/Lexus require its use:

Stellantis/FCA says do not use it.

For overlapping panels (like the radiator support on a 2002), I think I’d risk a little weld pool contamination and use a weld thru primer along the flanges that you plug weld to the inner front fenders. Otherwise you have a seal exposed to all the crap thrown up by the tires and no corrosion protection at the welds.

John

Back