Water in oil!

Reaction score
1972 BMW 2800 CS.

Looks like I need a new head gasket. Where can I get the parts and how far should I go with this. Engine has been great and stronger than my CSi. No noise or any other issues than a drained radiator and water in the oil.

Open to a mechanic if anyone knows a fair priced engine rebuild or (fingers crossed) just a head gasket.

Located in southern Vermont but travel down to see mom in CT.

Thanks everyone.

sfdon

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do not for any reason remove the head without doing a compression test and keep in mind that early heads were prone to cracking.
You cannot just stick a new headgasket in there- your head has to go the machine shop.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@sfdon is correct - this is a serious issue that needs professional help. while there are people out there that can do this work, the best 2 sources i know are Don (other side of the country) and Mario. the fact is, if you trust your engine to be done right the first time, hire one of these guys.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Seconding sfdon and rsporsche. If you are "open to a mechanic" you seem to me to be saying, "I am not sure I have the skills and experience to do this." Don't mean to be rude, just saying what I would do with my past history with our cars.
Steve

BarneyT

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is it only oil in the water or is there also water in the oil? was the engine over heated? Don hint is a cracked head…

Reaction score
Thanks for the solid advice everyone. That bit of me that was considering sneaking a new head gasket is gone. Understand the engine needs a professional loud and clear but I'm not sure it's worth it in this car.

I'll talk to Mario and crunch some numbers but will likely consider (any) alternatives such as selling it as is or fitting a newer engine and trans and making a track car. It's solid now with a lot of structural rust/rot repair done but still a long way to go to make it a great E9 in the eyes of all the critics.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Please don't let the pursuit of perfection get in the way of enjoying your coupe. You decide what you want to do...keep it original or move on to a replacement engine. There are a number of people here that can provide information on the cost of each.

It seems that the popular choice for a later model replacement engines is the m30b35 variant.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's solid now with a lot of structural rust/rot repair done but still a long way to go
If your goal is to get it back on the road with minimal coin outlay, I would yank the head and have it pressure tested (because of the high likelihood of these heads cracking). If it passes then throw another head gasket it on and carry on. If cracked, then consider plan B options.