Weber 32/36 replacement, vendor, tips

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello forum,

Does anyone have a recommended vendor for purchasing the Weber 32/36 kit? I am assuming that the Redline kit that a number of outfits offer comes jetted correctly for sea level operation. I am replacing a set of the same. Any recommendations or tips on installation would be greatly appreciated.

-kent

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Kent - First, to answer your question directly, I've had good luck buying from these guys. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=1580 I'm not sure you need a kit if you already have a set of these in your car, so I just linked to the carbs themselves,

That said, a rebuild would be much less expensive, and I would recommend that. There is a guy here in SC who all the local muscle car guys use. He calls himself "the carburetor whisperer", but he's not a Weber specific person. That said, I've met him a few times and he knows his stuff. I could hook you up with him if you want to go that route.

Another comment: I had a pair of these on my car before I changed to the triple DCOEs. In talking to Carl Nelson about these carbs, he told me that he prefers the 38/38 when he does a Weber swap. If I remember right, he specifically preferred the mid-range performance. If you are going down the replacement path, I suggest you look into the 38/38s.

As to installation tips, take the time to go over every inch of your linkage. Make sure the bell crank bushing is in good shape, moves freely without any wobble and that the spring is intact. Check that the stop on the bell crank is in place. Make sure your accelerator pedal is in good shape, with particular emphasis on the junction at the top where the rod goes through. Mine was broken off when I bought my car. Then check each ball end on the rods within your linkage to make sure that they are not corroded and lubricate them so they move smoothly. Mine cleaned up nicely with some steel wool and WD40.

Also, consider replacing the hose that goes to your vacuum booster along with the check valve. These are inexpensive and replacement should help ensure you don't have vacuum leaks.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Kent - First, to answer your question directly, I've had good luck buying from these guys. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=1580 I'm not sure you need a kit if you already have a set of these in your car, so I just linked to the carbs themselves,

That said, a rebuild would be much less expensive, and I would recommend that. There is a guy here in SC who all the local muscle car guys use. He calls himself "the carburetor whisperer", but he's not a Weber specific person. That said, I've met him a few times and he knows his stuff. I could hook you up with him if you want to go that route.

Another comment: I had a pair of these on my car before I changed to the triple DCOEs. In talking to Carl Nelson about these carbs, he told me that he prefers the 38/38 when he does a Weber swap. If I remember right, he specifically preferred the mid-range performance. If you are going down the replacement path, I suggest you look into the 38/38s.

As to installation tips, take the time to go over every inch of your linkage. Make sure the bell crank bushing is in good shape, moves freely without any wobble and that the spring is intact. Check that the stop on the bell crank is in place. Make sure your accelerator pedal is in good shape, with particular emphasis on the junction at the top where the rod goes through. Mine was broken off when I bought my car. Then check each ball end on the rods within your linkage to make sure that they are not corroded and lubricate them so they move smoothly. Mine cleaned up nicely with some steel wool and WD40.

Also, consider replacing the hose that goes to your vacuum booster along with the check valve. These are inexpensive and replacement should help ensure you don't have vacuum leaks.

Thank you for the detailed response. I was initially going to have the new carbs installed by a local vintage BMW outfit, as I am not yet versed in these carbs and I am a bit busy with work. The carb bodies are badly ovalized at the spindle shaft borings and won't stay in tune more than a hundred miles or so.

The shop that I had intended to use called out six hours to do the swap, which seemed a bit high and was twice what they had originally quoted. Basically $1100.00 in labor. Also, having direct knowledge on adjustment, linkage, etc is all but imperative when one owns a fifty year old machine that you intend to drive to remote areas.

Thank you again for the information. The CS has lived a pretty conservative life thus far. Once I get the carbs sorted I need to track down a number of rattles and squeaks just to start....

tochi

Reaction score
Hello forum,

Does anyone have a recommended vendor for purchasing the Weber 32/36 kit? I am assuming that the Redline kit that a number of outfits offer comes jetted correctly for sea level operation. I am replacing a set of the same. Any recommendations or tips on installation would be greatly appreciated.
-kent
If your primary concern is dealing with worn throttle shaft bores, there are kits designed to address this issue. They may be worth a try. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=5949

dgv%20throttle%20shaft%20bearing%20kita.jpg

cb-38dgev(21).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Second, I do not know what the current practice is regarding customized jetting in new "over-the-counter" carburetors; however, it seems a simple matter merely to swap out the jets and emulsion tubes from the carburetors that are currently on the vehicle with any replacement carbs. Jets supplied with replacement carburetors may work well, but jetting is somewhat particular to each application.

0d65ef6417ff8bd90356ab2531ab2139.jpg

4767116268_769ee47590_b.jpg

bmw-2800-cs-jon-ward-5-1619509723.jpg

Last edited:

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello forum,

-kent
Back when I owned a 2002 with Weber side draft carburetors, (how I miss the 2002's simplicity) Greenfield Automotive was very knowledgeable and helpful with Webers. It was over 20 years ago, but they still mention them on their website:

(Located in western Mass. I don't see you taking a cruise over there anytime soon)