Weber Carb Rebuild

ricsix

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I wanted to share some before and after progress I've made on my 69 2800. When I first got the car the engine bay looked like shipwreck, there is a long way to go still for sure, but I did make some progress on the carburetors. It was a lot of work, but a very rewarding learning experience.

Ric

Attachments

• carbs before.jpg
    carbs before.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 125
  • carbs after.jpg
    carbs after.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 123

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
some brass cheese head cover screws would be a nice detail to compliment the other brass screws and fittings:
Agreed! Also you could replace that cobbled together linkage with one designed for the E9 (and it's shiny zinc plated!)

IMHO of course.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Agreed! Also you could replace that cobbled together linkage with one designed for the E9 (and it's shiny zinc plated!)

IMHO of course.
I would get this in a heartbeat!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Also, is that a cut in the hose of carb #2 (above where it says 5/16")? And if (when?) you find those soft mount gaskets leak, you can repace them with the regular base gaskets from Pierce as 6 cyl's don't need them. BTDT. That's all my unsolicited advice for tonight :D

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would get this in a heartbeat!
Heartfelt thanks for your kind words. As everyone knows, I only offer these modest creations as a community service for our distinguished members to ensure that none of them show up at a vintage event with a side-draft linkage that looks like their 5 year-old put it together from an erector set. Certainly declassee and too gauche to erase from memory! (Oh, I guess we do make some coin from the sales for beer and pizza at month's end .)
And if (when?) you find those soft mount gaskets leak, you can replace them with the regular base gaskets from
2002sOnly! (Fixed that for ya!)
We only use the original Bakelite isolator spacers and their sealing gaskets as used on all of the early BMW side-draft equipped cars including the 2000ti, 1800ti, 1800tisa, 2000 CS and the 1600/2002tis.
These aren't on our website but please contact me for more info.

Attachments

• Isolator Spacer and gaskets cropped.png
    Isolator Spacer and gaskets cropped.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 121
Last edited by a moderator:

ricsix

Site Donor
Reaction score

IMHO of course.
Thanks Hal, since this photo was taken I installed the Redline linkage package, but the one you're showing looks way better. But.. I'm now so in love with side drafts that I've like to install a set on my 02 at some point, good to know a quality linkage is out there

ricsix

Site Donor
Reaction score
Also, is that a cut in the hose of carb #2 (above where it says 5/16")? And if (when?) you find those soft mount gaskets leak, you can repace them with the regular base gaskets from Pierce as 6 cyl's don't need them. BTDT. That's all my unsolicited advice for tonight :D
Thanks Steve, I think what you're seeing is a depression from the zip tie used in shipping from when I bought the hose (probably from Amazon). I'm really hoping these gaskets hold on, as assembling all of this was not so easy (from a getting your fingers and wrenches into a impossible places perspective)!

ricsix

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks amazing, some brass cheese head cover screws would be a nice detail to compliment the other brass screws and fittings:

I like this idea. I'm generally not a "put shiny gold on a car" kind of dude, but under the engine bay the silver/gold highlight combo really sings!

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Really nice transformation. Obviously, a ton of man hours went into this.

Is that metal pipe in the fuel hose a replacement for a fuel filter? Might be good to have a filter there where you can check it whenever you open the hood.

Also, I know its a pain, but my experience is the same as Steve's. The soft mounts will leak. You very likely need to prepare yourself to replace these.