Weber woes

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
My relationship with my Weber 32/36s continues to evolve. They were on my car when I purchased it in 1988. Have operated fine for decades, but some problems have started to surface. I had linkage problems but found those new throttle shaft bearings really solve this problem. Also installed a rebuild kit, few years ago. However, during recent tuning activities, I could not get a smooth idle, so I checked timing, regapped plugs, reset valves, many times, and I am sure these are in spec now. I hear that "sewing machine" sound, but fine tuning had become challenging.

Recently, car was revving way too fast on startup, and no amount of turning screws in or out was having any effect. In a recent phone conversation with stephers on this Forum, he recommended I circle back to linkage. I was sure things were as they were supposed to be, until I saw the secondary throttle shaft on the front carb, would not return to rest after startup, leading to the racing engine. Will install new throttle shaft bearing kit when it arrives, but in the interim, a stiffer spring is doing the job.

Secondly, the rear carb mixture screw would just not screw in smoothly, and I was reluctant to force it and damage the chamber or the screw. Removed the carb and chased the thread and cleaned the screw, and now I can turn it in until the screw stops, then out 2 full turns just like in the Weber instructions.

And today, I finally have that smooth idle. There is balance, I even used that Syncrometer tool I purchased a few years ago with the Weber adaptor, and got equal values between the 2 carbs! The elusive "synchrony"!
Drives better, idles better, grin is back, baby! :)