WEDS wheel restoration

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
These staggered 16" WEDS wheels are destined for an E12, but may find their way onto the coupe in the future. I've had them for a while waiting for the right project to come along, which in this case is a Polaris 1979 528i.
As you can see, they're gold. The goal is to get them looking like multi-piece Alpinas. They're straight and look pretty good:

Until you look close and see all the crud and pitting on the rim:

I sanded and polished the rim lips while the centers were out. Here they are in various stages of sanding:

It took about a month to get them back from the powdercoater, but the wait was worth it:

I made a circle stencil with contact paper and painted the centers with the Alpina-style centers. Half way through reassembly with new hardware:

The pitting can still be seen in the "satin" finished lips (actually, I was going for the Porsche RSR look for the rims rather than a mirror-like finish). Also, the slightly larger than expected black painted area can be seen here.

Last edited:
Wow two Weds builds in a week! I'm doing this soon also. I think I will be going the same route with silver powder and satin rattle can. What color powder did you go with? Also, where did you get the hardware? Is that stainless? If so what grade are the bolts?

Back