Were E9 Csl available whith sunroof?

M635forever

Reaction score
Hi!
Im a newbee in this forum,but Ive been crazy about the E9 and E24 since i were a kid.(36 today) :)
Im a owner of a -75 Csi,my dad has a -74 Cs with a 3.5M30 and my brother a -72 Cs.
I could say, my hole family loves the E9! :D
Ive got a question to you guys!
I have seen a couple of Csl:s that got a sunroof, been told that there were a couple that (no numbers) left the factory with a sunroof.
Now i really want to get some facts,tried to search the net, and read all articles i could find abot the issue....but nothing!
Anyone here, who knows for sure that the sunroof were available on the Csl?

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have seen one RHD csl that had a sunroof that was supposedly factory fitted. It hada vinyl roof though which woul make me suspicious. The guy who had it was adamant though and he knew his cs's very well.

It ruins them though as the roof is a major factor in establishing pedigree as the steel is of thinner gauge and can be pushed in with very little force.

I have a csl which someone put a pop up sunroof in ( i want to kill them) but I have a spare csl roof which one day will go on her.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
AFAIK, in later years of production the buyer could specify the options they wanted on the CSL. I suspect some of those cars are not particularly "licht".

Malc

Reaction score
Hi
30csl is right. towards the end of the production run BMW were so desperate to shift cars that you could order "toys" for a car. A lot of CSL's had "city packs" which basically meant they had normal seats, suspension, sound proofing, electric windows etc
A sunroof that is NOT steel, eg a Websco canvas roof could of been added by a dealer when the car was new, this was quite common in the 70's
Malc

M635forever

Reaction score
Thanks for very intresting answers!
Nice reading also!
If I got it right, only the citypackage from -73 and later,were available with the sunroof, and any other option that the standard Cs/Csi had!?
Does anyone have a clue, if this wagon is for real then!
http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=4197
Really confused! :o
It seems like it have rear powerwindows also!!?
But its not a citypackage!?

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
The car I referred to had a steel sunroof like the one on that car however that car has an early LHD chassis number. A steel roof can ofcourse be fitted but to do it to a csl in retrospect you would have to have your head examined as it is heavy. At least a pop up sunroof is simple and light (less structural too ofcourse).

Regards,

Rohan

Malc

Reaction score
Confusion is normal!!!

I think a point to remember that when these cars were new they were very, very expensive!!
So I suspect it could of been originally ordered and bought by somebody with more money than sense who wanted the "qudos" of owning a CSL, but with the "comfortable" bits added.
You can still do this today with some of the modern BMWs, Bentleys, Mercs, Porsche, Morgan etc etc

Not everybody wanted or today wants the performance, just the looks to get one up on the neighbours, or have the flashiest car in the works carpark!!!!

Malc