What color choice for a restoration repaint

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Hi All! I’ve debated at length with myself and friends (knowledgeable bmw guys) about what color to repaint one of my e9s. It’s currently Polaris with a red interior. I’m not a fan of this color combination at all. The purest can tune out right now less I harm their ears with the sacrilege of considering an alternative color other than what the vehicle originally had from BMW. This vehicle has some surface rust, nothing major or structural. However, it has a poor repaint and there was considerable damage to the passenger quarter panel in front of the rear wheel. I’m sure Stripping the car down will reveal all sorts of ugly messes. It will never be a number one car. As such, I feel inclined to enjoy modifications or alterations that might step out of the realm of what I would never normally consider. I have been completely infatuated with Reseda Green found on E 12,21, 24 cars. To anybody’s knowledge on the forum, did Bmw ever produce the E9 coupe in this color? I’m curious if there has ever been a poll on favorite colors for the E9 coupe, and if so where might I find that. Regardless of what I do, I’m trying to stay somewhat period correct yet create a special car to my liking. (M90, 265cr, lsd, recaro, shadowline csl stripes). Thanks for the help, I’m most curious to hear feedback from the group on this issue. Mark

Mark, here's a start:

Mark, one of the best combinations with a red interior is chamonix ... red door / side panels + red seats with black carpet. do a search for the gr8white from forum member @Stan.
to m knowledge coupes were not made in reseda. i remember and love the e24 in that color. i think it started in '75 or '76 but i think it shows off the sharper / angled shapes of the 6 series more than the curves of the e9.

everybody has their own favorites. many people will recommend using a color that was used during the year of manufacture. i like ceylon and even though no 2800cs were made in that color, thats what i'm doing ... but it was a 3.0cs color. if i listed my favorite colors for an e9 coupe - in no specific order (other than ceylon) it would be granatrot, turkis, inka, riviera, atlantik / nachtblau, arktisblau and baikal, i think the coupe looks great in almost any shade of blue and the bright 70's colors

Reseda Green looks great on an e21 but it’s too much on an e24, currently one on BaT, in my mind. Definitely a period color though. You are free to pick whatever color you choose but I would stay in the BMW family.

Scott, Chris, I really appreciate the feedback. Chris, I agree that the E 24 doesn’t look as good as the E 21 in that color. I can’t rightly say why, it just doesn’t to me. What ever the final choice will be, I believe that it will be an authentic Bmw color that is of the period, although not necessarily exactly to an e9 run. It’s good to hear from other informed coupe owners that a color change isn’t entirely a bastardation. Additionally, one of my reasons for considering Reseda other than my love of it next to chrome, is that imo it’s a color that should have been part of the e9 line up. Also, and stupidly, the idea of having a coupe in a color that no other is, seems even more exotic-part of the allure of the e9

i think the basic choice depends on how original or how individualistic you want your coupe to be. my coupe was originally baikal and the PO painted it black ... he also put a b34 engine in it ... so its not your basic original 2800 cs so i am freer to do what i want. if i had been able to buy a very original / rust free car, i would have kept it that way and done tasteful mods that didn't really show. i have seen a couple of coupes in BMW and even Porsche colors that looked quite good on the coupe ... but in most cases i prefer the original coupe colors. saturated colors look great with chrome - black, inka, malaga, verona, atlantik / nacht, taiga, ceylon, agave / amazonas. turkis + granatrot. black requires more bling on a coupe than any other color - polished wheel lips, chrome fender hood grills, highly polished trim everywhere or it diminishes the contrast.

speaking of a coupe in a color that no other is ... in any given locale that statement can be made in many colors. in ATL, there are 3 baikal coupes, several polaris ... two chamonix, two fjord, a few dark blue and some single colors. colors like inka, ceylon, taiga, granitrot, riviera, colorado and turkis are rare wherever you are ... fjord, polaris not so much ... beautiful on a coupe, but they are everywhere

Silver & Red is like a Salmon. If you are keeping the Red interior, Chamonix (Stan) or Riviera (Bob Platz) or Nachtblau all look better than Polaris or that hideous Fjord (;) )

That you, at ESW? Don't know who else has multiple coupes in Memphis...(sorry my parts car found a local home.)
Your car, and its not going to the museum in Munich, so do what you want, but I tend to agree with HBChris on staying in the bmw family...Altho there are some great new car colors elsewhere, that look vintage..Toyota, et al...Lots of what I might call "bastard military colors", that are great; some greens, browns, and desert colors that would love red seats...My 2002 is Nevada, my favorite, and will have red inside fairly soon. Great contrast, but subtle at the same time.
Personally, I think most blues look great with the red...my choice would be Arctisblau...a more grey version of Baikal, and the combo would be unique, and makes the brightwork really pop.
Greys also would great with the red...Bristol (like early Mercedes colors, maybe too subtle for the chrome, but I like it), or maybe darker like Anthacitgrau would be sharp and compliment the chrome..but if you don't like silver, you probably don't like grey.
I found a site called bimmertips.com that has "bmw oem paint codes" with chips of each...a great list.
Are you coming to the Vintage? Sorry if I have the wrong guy...

Dave, yup, that’s me. Great to see that you are an active member here as well. Yes, I plan on being at vintage. Chris, I’m going to look into mintgrun

If you are staying with the red interior, the exterior color should compliment it. HBChris' suggestion is a good one since it would be unique. Whatever you do, look at the circular chart and don't pick the "other" color. Pepto Bismol will never go with the red interior....... and over 30% have already done that even though we've never seen them...

I know someone who owns a receda green euro e24 and it has always stuck out in my head. Absolutely stunning. Perhaps that's why my E9 is taiga.

Dave, yup, that’s me. Great to see that you are an active member here as well. Yes, I plan on being at vintage. Chris, I’m going to look into mintgrun
Many colors here including Mintgrun:

Back