What Color is your CHAMONIX?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is a really old thread. But I did what the OP asked, which is to repaint my first coupe from Chamonix to Alpine. Completely happy with that decision. The beige content of Chamonix always made it look old and tired to me. But of course, it's nothing but just personal opinions. Nothing wrong either way.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've owned coupes in many different shades from polaris to sienna. The chamonix coupe I had with blue interior was one of my favorite combos. I don't tend to give white cars much attention, but there is a subtlety and classiness of Chamonix that makes it really appealling.

Reactions: JDH

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree with Walter, Chamonix was my first 2002's color. Alpine white could be called refrigerator white, too 90s for me.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine has been repainted a while ago in something that's just a bit whiter than Chamonix. It's going to be repainted Chamonix after I repair the rust. I like the subtle color that it has, in addition to being original. I had a '54 VW beetle that was originally a slightly darker cream color that I liked a lot.

Ian

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The Bav is actually Pepper White. It is a current model Mini Cooper Color. Pepper White has slightly more black, and slightly less yellow than actual Chamonix. It is pretty hard to tell the difference but I felt like Chamonix was just a little too yellow for me.

restart

Reaction score
So, could the original chamonix for my car be the very yellow color (circled below)in this pic of the paint around my drivers door key.
IMG_5203.jpg

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that looks too yellow to my eye. My coupe is chamonix and a recent re-paint. It is not the startling refrigerator white of Alpine white.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
On the thought of whether to continue with Chamonix or choose another color, I did a little research and found these comments in various trade publications.

"Titanium dioxide, also known as titania, is the most stable of all known white pigments."

And

Color v. White Pigments

A good white paint typically has greater resistance to abrasion and marking than deep tints and accent colors do, because the clear bases used for deep colors lack the titanium dioxide (TiO2) that makes white paint white.

But TiO2 is not just a whitener. It’s harder than most color pigments. That hardness makes a big difference in the paint’s resistance to impact and marking. So a paint film loaded with TiO2 will be more robust than one loaded with soft color pigments.

I had a white '93 Volvo 940 wagon in Hawaii for 10 years. After I added 100k miles to it, it had 225K miles and the paint still looked very good. It was left outside and given no special treatment. I saw many newer cars with base/clear coats suffering clear coat failure. I pulled a fender off of a newer car with half the miles because mine was dented - perfect match.

Your mileage may vary but I'm sticking with Chamonix.

Ian

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I got two gallons of Chamonix paint last week. It's a single stage paint with accelerator.
Checking the color chart from Eastwood I found a color that matched the paint under my trunk lid perfectly. It's not actually meant to be a match for Chamonix, but is a GM color for '64-'68 Cameo trucks.

Below is a shot of the chip chart on the underside of my trunk lid. It's not perfectly lit or perfectly clean, but there are spots that have the exact same RGB values as the sample chip. Close enough for me.

Here's the page with the paint listing. I went with the single stage paint rather than the color base and clear coat because that's what the car had and it's what I"m more comfortable shooting. I also believe it to be more durable.

Chamonix & Cameo IMG_6195.JPG

Full disclosure: I won an Eastwood sweepstakes and was able to order this paint at no cost. In my experience Eastwood products are first rate, if I didn't think so I wouldn't put them on my car.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
A Chamonix CSL with the factory tri colour stripes is a stunning thing. Would not look nearly as good in a white.

So put me down on the Chamonix side - suits the E9 and is a very 70's period colour :)

_MG_9092 edited.jpg