What do you use to cut away rust spots?

chicane

Reaction score
I think Malc would definitely be a good one to ask this but...
I have an air cutter/grinder, a saws-all, and a Dremel tool. I was thinking of getting a plasma cutter but those things are expensive. Opinions.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A plasma would be slick, but it's overkill for the 22 or 20 ga steel of most body panels. A cutting wheel in an angle grinder or a SawzAll make quick work of coupe shell, plus they leave cleaner edges. I have a die grinder too, but it uses a lot of air. The electric angle grinder turns electricity into holes more efficiently.

What bugs me about a plasma is it's a lot of money for a one-trick pony. If you cut steel five times a day, maybe it hits ROI, but for a hobbyist? Go old school -- oxy/acetylene welds AND cuts! And you can haul it anywhere. 8)

AndyM

Reaction score
A plasma cutter is lots of fun, but complete overkill. What you really need is a small body saw and a cut-off wheel on a 4" angle grinder.

chicane

Reaction score
Cool, then I don't have to buy an expensive plasma cutter.

Thanks.

AndyM

Reaction score
Nope. Not unless you want to. :D I have one for frame work and roll cages, but I don't even bother breaking it out for most body work.

Here's a link to the body saw I use. It is without a doubt the best tool I have found to make precise cuts in sheetmetal. Works great for patch panels too -- you can tack on an oversized patch, then use the body saw to cut through both layers for a perfect match.

http://www.hechinger.com/hardware/tools/20454-jet-38-stroke-9000-rpm-air-body-saw-jsg0822.html

chicane

Reaction score
AndyM said:
Nope. Not unless you want to. :D I have one for frame work and roll cages, but I don't even bother breaking it out for most body work.

Here's a link to the body saw I use. It is without a doubt the best tool I have found to make precise cuts in sheetmetal. Works great for patch panels too -- you can tack on an oversized patch, then use the body saw to cut through both layers for a perfect match.

http://www.hechinger.com/hardware/tools/20454-jet-38-stroke-9000-rpm-air-body-saw-jsg0822.html

I already have a deWalt cordless, but I guess I could go ahead and get an air saw if it is a little easier to handle. By the way, what guage steel is the sheet metal on the E9?

AndyM

Reaction score
The body saw is tiny -- much smaller than a cut-saw -- maybe 8-10 inches long. I don't know the exact gauge of the E9 body -- probably 20 gauge if I had to venture a guess. Where's Malc?

chicane

Reaction score
AndyM said:
The body saw is tiny -- much smaller than a cut-saw -- maybe 8-10 inches long. I don't know the exact gauge of the E9 body -- probably 20 gauge if I had to venture a guess. Where's Malc?

So you are saying go with the air body saw?

AndyM

Reaction score
chicane said:
AndyM said:

So you are saying go with the air body saw?

Absolutely go with the air body saw. The one I posted above works really well. Get a bunch of blades, too, since you chew through them pretty quickly.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
I use 4" die grinder wheels on my electric angle grinder. For me that's the best of all worlds. Because the wheel is so thin, you don't have to remove so much material. It's fast and efficient. Depending on your angle grinder, you may have to use an arbor bushing and/or extra washer. Fits should be exact to avoid eccentricity and imbalance. Gloves and glasses always!!!

Malc

Reaction score
Don't understand, why would I know :wink:
Actually use 115mm cutting disks, you can get very thin ones, about 1mm thick, they are expensive but produce a wonderful cut
In tight spots its tin snips, die grinder or any other thing I can get in. Finally I dry grit blast areas where nothing else will work.
Oxy/Acetelene is great but puts too much heat into the suroundng metal and can cause distortion and fatigue. Plasma cutters are great but really only work well on clean rust free metal
Malc

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I primarily use cut-off wheels on air die-grinders. Here in the US, the wheels come in various diameters from 3-5" either 1/16" or 1/32" thick. In tight spots I use a Dremel tool mostly with the reinforced cut-off disks. I've occasionally used electric angle grinders with cut--off disks, but the air tools are a lot smaller and lighter and generally a lot easier to use.

I find that many of the areas I'm repairing don't have enough room behind them to use saw blades, but when I can, I also use an air-reciprocating saw. Mine is an I.R. Wish I could find good blades for it - they don't last long.

I have a plasma cutter, but haven't really found any use for it. I've only used the acetylene cutting torch to cut up bodies I've junked. Neither make very precise cuts, although maybe the plasma cutter requires some learning. I have a Henrob gas torch, but haven't used it yet. It looks like it should make a much finer cut than the traditional cutting torch.

I use 'aircraft' snips a lot too: old ones to cut up rusty metal, newer ones to make patches, etc.

Malc

Reaction score
Snip... Wish I could find good blades for it - they don't last long.

I have an air driven saw too, I have found that "manual" hack saw blades will fit. I basically cut hacksaw blades up with my angle grinder and use them. You may find you go through a lot of them but it's certainly the cheaper option. plus you can cut them to any length you need.
Malc

gazzol

Reaction score
Malc said:
Snip... Wish I could find good blades for it - they don't last long.

I have an air driven saw too, I have found that "manual" hack saw blades will fit. I basically cut hacksaw blades up with my angle grinder and use them. You may find you go through a lot of them but it's certainly the cheaper option. plus you can cut them to any length you need.
Malc

I was going to post this :evil:

chicane

Reaction score
I bought an air body saw. But that think didn't work worth a hoot. I think it might have been the blade that I was using. how many teeth show the saw blade have?

AndyM

Reaction score
chicane said:
I bought an air body saw. But that think didn't work worth a hoot. I think it might have been the blade that I was using. how many teeth show the saw blade have?

What blade were you using? I think I usually use a 24 tooth blade for sheetmetal. It takes some practice, but once you get the angle right, it will cut the quickest, straightest lines. I use mine all the time for rockers, floor panels, quarter panels, EVERYTHING. It is the second most useful metal tool right behind the 4.5" angle grinder.