What I bought instead of a coupe

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
In searching for a coupe for several months I ended up backing my way instead into a pristine 1966 BMW 1800 (Neue Klasse). A 2 owner car, restored to incredibly high standards with unobtanium trim parts. I wanted an original car but also a car in very good shape (restored or not), known history and a Euro model, the way BMW intended the car to look in its natural habitat.

My search became less about the specific model but rather about acquiring a vintage BMW model that was historically significant. As many of you know, the Neue Klasse line of cars (1500, 1600 and 1800) were the cars that essentially saved BMW from going under as they teetered on insolvency in the late 50's. Read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_New_Class

I will be traveling to Berlin next Thursday to pick it up and drive it accross Europe. Read about it on my blog here: http://1966bmw1800.wordpress.com

Thanks to everyone for all the help with my search.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great car

Great car in a great color. Not as quite as pretty as a coupe, but in that color it looks fantastic. It is the car that saved the company, and I am sure they don't rust like a coupe.
That dealer has some pretty nice stuff in the background! The trip sounds fantastic, and I hope I can do the same kind of trip myself in the future. Good luck.
Scott

gwittman

Reaction score
It reminds me of a 2000 TiLux that I almost bought many years ago. It was not in as good condition as the car you bought. Nice find.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Motorhead. I just updated the blog and have several more updates to go. The car arrives to Baltimore this Wednesday and I expect to be caught up with updates by then so i"ll be real time again. www.1966BMW1800.wordpress.com

Dirk

Reaction score
Congratulations Luis, that is a SUPER nice car !

When your car arrives in Baltimore next week, may I suggest you visit Lothar Schuettler. This gentleman owns an independent BMW repair and restoration facility Excluservice and has one of the most amazing colletions of vintage BMW's in the US.
http://www.bmwvccca.com/images/Article-Dec09-Lothar.pdf

I am looking forward seeing you and your car on next year's Bavaria Tour in Germany and/or on the BMWVCCCA's Canada Expedition !

Regards,
Dirk
'70 2800CS, '71 2002 Voll-Cabrio, '72 2002iii

Last edited:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Dirk!

Where are you located? Sorry if I forgot who you are but have we met?

Other people mentioned Lothar and I will make a point of contacting him and maybe stopping by his place when I'm out there.

Luis

Dirk

Reaction score
Hi Luis, ... no I don't think we've met before. I am in Coral Gables, Florida.
They are looking for a fine example of a Neue Klasse for the Vintage of the Vinyards event in NC at the end of the month (http://vintageatthevineyards.com/). This is (one of) the biggest annual vintage BMW gatherings in the country. I am sure that you will have lots of success with your 1800. Let me know if you want me to put you in contact with the organizers. There is a caravan leaving Dayton OH.

Hope to see you there !

Thanks Dirk!

Where are you located? Sorry if I forgot who you are but have we met?

Other people mentioned Lothar and I will make a point of contacting him and maybe stopping by his place when I'm out there.

Luis

atan888

Reaction score
Congrats! Thats a nice NK you have there. Always loved the rears of those cars. They are such a classic.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dirk:

I'd love to make it to Vintage at the Vineyards but I'm committed to be in DC for a family gathering. It's on my calendar for next year!

Alvin,

Thanks for the compliment. As I indicated in the blog, it looks even better in person.

Luis

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
thought I'd post here rather than start anew

Congrats to Luis - very nice article about his 1800 in the new Automobile magazine.