What kind of finish goes inside the power steering fluid reservoir?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was about to refinish the outside of my PS reservoir when I noticed that the inside was looking pretty tired. It looks like there is an orange primer and black paint on the outer walls. The bottom appears unfinished. Is it a special paint of some sort or would the usual Rustoleum work?

7468d93c36ba340c0533bdc8af676415.jpg

Thank you Alan and Chris.

I did not realize there was a filter in there... Just ordered from rmeuropean. Thanks for that Chris!

Does that plate just unscrew? It looks like you'd have to remove the spring as well.

The shaft does not unscrew. You'll need to take the clip and spring off to access the filter.

I took mine apart and had it powder coated. It's a much more durable finish than spray paint.

I use a place local to me called South Coast Powder Coating. I'm sure there is something up in your neighborhood. I recommend taking as many pieces as you can. The finish will be consistent and they sometimes will offer a batch discount. The best match I've found is satin black. Depending on the year your pedal/booster bracket, heater cover, motor mounts etc are all the same color.

YAE GOOD CALL MIKE
I WAS WONDERING MIKE inow that your car is really perfect isnt it hard to see it as awhole as you get so involved in all the details
my mind tends to dwell on all the bits to get it together
yet mine is no where near perfect as is yours.
so i do have a lot to ponder on

as we all know, Mike is the king of details! :) Regarding the PS can and other black bits around the engine, I find a really good cleaning and a prime and paint, yes satin or semi-gloss black, works well and holds up for years- these pieces are rarely exposed to the elements, except engine compartment heat and fumes so they look good for a long time, and BMW didn't even prime those pieces- they were just pained. I does depend on the degree of OCD you wish to incorporate.

Doing a little online research, it seems that one could get a powder coating setup for home from Eastwood for about $260, including the gun and a mini oven.

Tempting on the one hand. But another pile of money I had not planned on on the other. It never stops, does it...

No, it never does. I plan to have mine powder coated the next time I have it off the car; I tried painting it and probably wasn't patient enough, but my paint already looks crappy.

I think Mike explained it, but said another way, you need to shimmy that round clip on the top of the spring up to the threads, then unscrew it as if it were threaded and then remove the spring and the plate covering the filter.

Back