What Size is this Screw...Really

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, sounds stupid but it has stopped my project. I put my center console together but forgot to size this screw. It screws into the lower lip of the heater control. RealOem has it as a countersunk 3.8X30 which based on this image (thank you Andrew) and many others, just does not seem right. I also bought a redone console that came with hardware and such a screw was not there.
Athena Interior_LI.jpg

I've not taken the cluster apart, so I don't know if it's a machine screw or a speed nut style wood screw like for the radio bracket.

Should be able to find the proper metric pitch & length at your local hardware store.

There is a machine screw there, one on each side, on an A/C coupe it’s hidden under the vent cover. 3.8 might mean M4?

Yes, I believe M4 but the heater control is Pot Metal so if I don't get the threading right, it could strip or crack. May bite the bullet, create the hole in the console panel then size with my metric Tap and Die set. I have a bunch of black interior screws but all are self tapping. No black machine screws.

'3.8' in screw definition is not an M4. Bmw would have listed it as m4.

If you are talking about the screws that go through the side of the vinyl console; in my car I found black self tapping screws in there, which had a dome shaped ring under them. I did not measure them, but they could well be 3.8x30.
They however do not screw into the heater control unit, but I think they catch the radio carrier frame.

The heater control unit has threaded tabs at it's bottom and I can palpate (new word for Gazz) a hole in my redone side panels that lines up with the tabs. Just trying to figure out what to put thru my console and into those threaded tabs.

Thank You! Perfect, that is what I wanted. I have screws from my old set-up and the new one...and that is not there. Looks like M4 with .7 pitch.

My original panels have about 6 holes on each side and including a huge hole in the center thru which a huge manifold-like screw went thru with acorns nuts attached to each end........so you see what I have to go by...............nothing.

I have no AC so the 2 screws at the same level below the screw I have circled in my original post should be for the radio carrier.

Last edited:
Back