What's the purpose of the little "opening" at the bottom of the spare tire well?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rust at the bottom of the spare tire well is a frequent issue. I imagine that cracked or aged trunk seals would be a major cause for water ingress. But I also notice that, after you insert the plastic plug in the center hole under the tie down post, there is a little opening that remains. Clearly, when driving in the rain, that could cause water to get in there. Does anyone know the reason for that opening?

IMG_5044.jpeg IMG_5043.jpeg

@eriknetherlands , I noticed that you had drawn that extra opening in your repair piece but did not actually cut it. Or maybe you cut it after the pics were taken?

1726354628326.png

My guess would be the hole is for draining the spare tire well.
I thought about that too. But that is the purpose of the round plastic plug, isn't it? And if all other things (seals) work correctly, it seems there would be no reason to have a permanently open hole there. Hence the removable plastic one...

Looking at the profile of the sheet metal... It may be a by product of the forming (manufacturing) process. I can't recall if my 2002 had a similar feature or...???
I don't think so, but I do not recall directly....

I thought about that too. But that is the purpose of the round plastic plug, isn't it? And if all other things (seals) work correctly, it seems there would be no reason to have a permanently open hole there. Hence the removable plastic one...
When you change the tire in there rain, you put a wert tire in the well and that need a drain.

The round plastic is to cost the big hole that is for production purpose.
When the body comes out of the primer bath, the liquid must drain very fast, otherwise the roof (where the car is hanging on while that process) wil bent due to to much weight.

You got 4 massive cut out in the floor panel also for that purpose.

Breiti

I am betting it was a poor design based on the assumption that it needed a drain.
I am not aware of any newer cars having drains for a spare tire well.

Every car has any kind of drain in the spare well...
Mostly it is constructed in a rubber with a kind of check valve.

Breiti

Back