Wheel on....

pamp

Reaction score
As a bit of a tribute to Murray, I have installed a Nardi 390 in the coupe "Siena" same as the "blumax" Many thanks to Dan K "coupeguy" who helped me with this project. I used a vintage 60 mm hub I had in my stash....very nice as it brings the wheel and hub about an inch closer to the column much like a Petri hub I am told. Alpina horn button as the choice of my bride....design for the sexes!

Attachments

• 100_2174.jpg
    100_2174.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 190

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks nice Allen. Quick question. How is the wheel measured? The very outside diameter of the wheel? or the diameter at the centerline (about where the black line is)?

I get 370 at the outside and 345 at the black line on my Nardi.

Thanks,

pamp

Reaction score
Sven,
OD....to the black line...365....the wheel actually measures slightly less than 390....388. You have a 380mm The E39 is 380mm as well as my Volvo. I had before a 320i wheel....380mm and tried an Alpina...380mm. In my mind this combination is perfect....390mm with the 60mm hub....rare as hell I am told (the hub) My comparisons are as follows....Momo hub...83mm, 320i...80mm
Two different Nardi hubs, one @ 76mm and my preferred...60mm This brings the wheel to the column by a bit better than an inch making for a "best I can do" wheel position. Like Sven I always play and make improvements most times (myself) by trial and error. Not sure what the so called "bus" wheel measures, seems 380mm is the norm but the designer wife says the 390mm "looks correct" vs the 380 "little small" says she.
To Stan the observer....windows + sunroof + power antennae Hey Stan....work out the lettering of the A/C panel....decals? Not sure if I am happy with that. My panel is pure....not my worry....just think you could do this better.

Last edited:

pamp

Reaction score
Question....Steering wheels

This falls under what is preferred by the owner, much like rims, shift knob, etc. A lot of different combinations for steering wheels and hubs. Momo, Nardi, Petri, BMW. The answer I am looking for is hub length. What is the shortest possible? Driving comfort? I am told some guys like the Petri as to the shorter hub? I might imagine a person who is tall would prefer a longer hub. I measure square (Swedish descent) and wear 32 X 32 pants. Anyone with a vintage Petri willing to pass on the hub measure for my notes? I have a Momo/Alpina four spoke in the stash much like the one from the fellow in Switzerland....the hub on that wheel I desire for sure. Very short and my guess is 50 mm. TIA
A 380 mm seems to rule the day, yet I have found the 390mm very nice with the short hub....I could go on about dimensions...I guess this may have more to do with seat height?

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 40cm Petri hub looks to be about 106mm. My original bus wheel is about 425mm. The Momo hub I have on now for my 390mm Nardi is about 80mm.

IMG-20130303-00288.jpg

pamp

Reaction score
This one is like exhaust....hard to pipe in as to know someone may have done something better....I just want the feed back as to add to my notes.