When your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That was cool.... and hit home for me.

Side story..... Indulge me for a bit....

In the late 1970's, my parents were looking for a car for me as I was going to be driving soon and we needed an extra car (mainly for me, but also as a spare set of wheels). My dad heard from a friend that a neighbor of theirs was selling their 1968 Mustang GT convertible. Turned out the car was in decent shape and for $2,000 it was ours (yeah, those days are LONG past). So - we get the car and it becomes mostly mine but also - my Mom takes a fancy to it.

I drive that car all in high school and my early days in college - in town as I went to the local city college ( see pic enclosed of me driving in the local Homecoming parade) But, I was going to be going to a 4 year university a ways away and that meant leaving the car out (fairly unattended) in the weather for long stretches of time and ... well, a late 60's Detroit convertible is not (even back then) the best car for having sit out in the sun and able to be broken into and all that jazz... So, it is agreed that I would leave the Mustang at home and get a 'more practical' car. That is where the 2002 came in. Yeah - I know... But remember that back then the 2002 I got was nothing more than a ~10 year old 'used car' (albeit nice) with the BMW brand still working their way up to where they would find themselves later. Yes, they were premium - but not (at that time) like Mercedes or such.

Regardless - the Mustang, staying at home, became the chariot for both my Mom and our dog (chocolate Lab). She was seen daily driving around with the top down and the dog in the back with the ears flapping in the breeze. She'd take that car everywhere.... Grocery shopping, out to do her hair, down Big Sur for a look at the scenery - all over the place. Everyone in town would associate that car with her. LOL - It was really something to see...

After school - I move up north to Seattle with the 2002 and a mid 80's Chevy S-10 PU as my daily driver ( Yeah - I know... but in all fairness, the S-10 really was a decent small truck and did everthing I asked of it.... and had 4WD - helped out in the Seattle snows....) The Mustang was promised to me (eventually) - but Mom was driving it and the car was going along doing ok. But - it was starting show its age.... and increasingly so. One day - during one of her jaunts down Big Sur, the car stalled and stranded her. She had to get it towed home. That is the last time she drove it (mid 1990s). She didn't trust it any longer. The car then was put in storage till (as she said it) - I could take it up north and give it a good 'going over'. LOL, By that time, it needed more than that, and more than I could give it... But - oh well - I would have to sit on it till I had the space (and $$) to mess with it. The car spends the next several years being shuffled from family driveways to storage places and so on down near my parents home.

Calendar moves along about 10+ years and ... I get a place that has a garage for the car and... 2 or 3 months after I move in, the Mustang is in my garage (my brother had it in his driveway and was READY to get that $%^)) car to me - LOL). The car is transferred to my name shortly after that time. Mom calls me one night to talk about the 'rag top' as she called it. She wants to get it restored. She wants to pay for it. And she wants to go driving in it again... with me. :)
Now, she is not driving any longer - the dogs are LONG gone but she still loves that car.

So - I find a place up north here (near Seattle) for doing the car and... They do an AWESOME job. Yes, it cost us a pretty penny - but was totally worth it. The restoration lasts 18 months.
All during the restoration - my Mom is planning a 'Car Party' for showing it off as well as have a small family reunion - LOTS of folks will be coming. So - I get the car all set and trailer the car down to CA and... the car is AWESOME... (see pics). She plans this party for probably well over a year. Was awesome to see everyone. I must have given 10 rides in the car to the young kids there and out of town folks. Was a great day.

The day after the party, I take Mom back down Big Sur in the Mustang... this time with the top up as the wind is a bit stronger than she remembers it being - LOL..... :)
She loves it. She notices the radio now has FM as well as AM - she smiles. She likes the sound of the engine. She didn't remember the car being so rattly - I say that is is in better shape now then before - LOL. Still, she really likes the shape the car is in and is very happy to see it again.

Well, I return to Seattle a few days later and am unpacking after driving up when we receive a call that Mom collapsed at home and has been taken to the hospital..
We quickly put everything away and return to CA. Everyone knew she was not doing well during the 'car party' - but we had no idea how bad it had become.
When we received the call, it was late in the day. It was almost the same to leave Seattle at 9pm driving (that day) as it was to fly the next day. As such, we drove... and arrived at the hospital at 11am. Yeah - I flew down I5 - but didn't care. Mom passed away just in time for us to see her.

It was almost as if she was hanging on to see everyone at her party (the 'car' party) - but it was really a way to say goodbye. We just didn't know it til a short time later.
FYI - the trip down Big Sur in the Mustang is the last time Mom left her house (other than in an ambulance). Feels good (even many years later) to see the Mustang sitting in my garage knowing Mom is happy I still have it going strong....

So - the video here struck a nerve with me - and put a HUGE smile on my face...

I love it - Thanks for sharing it....

Attachments

• CARPENTER_SHS_503.jpg
    CARPENTER_SHS_503.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC_0040.JPG
    DSC_0040.JPG
    449.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow thanks for sharing your mom sounds like she had the right attitude about life!

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score

In the late 1970's, my parents were looking for a car for me as I was going to be driving soon and we needed an extra car (mainly for me, but also as a spare set of wheels). My dad heard from a friend that a neighbor of theirs was selling their 1968 Mustang GT convertible. Turned out the car was in decent shape and for $2,000 it was ours (yeah, those days are LONG past). So - we get the car and it becomes mostly mine but also - my Mom takes a fancy to it.

I drive that car all in high school and my early days in college - in town as I went to the local city college ( see pic enclosed of me driving in the local Homecoming parade) But, I was going to be going to a 4 year university a ways away and that meant leaving the car out (fairly unattended) in the weather for long stretches of time and ... well, a late 60's Detroit convertible is not (even back then) the best car for having sit out in the sun and able to be broken into and all that jazz... So, it is agreed that I would leave the Mustang at home and get a 'more practical' car. That is where the 2002 came in. Yeah - I know... But remember that back then the 2002 I got was nothing more than a ~10 year old 'used car' (albeit nice) with the BMW brand still working their way up to where they would find themselves later. Yes, they were premium - but not (at that time) like Mercedes or such.

Regardless - the Mustang, staying at home, became the chariot for both my Mom and our dog (chocolate Lab). She was seen daily driving around with the top down and the dog in the back with the ears flapping in the breeze. She'd take that car everywhere.... Grocery shopping, out to do her hair, down Big Sur for a look at the scenery - all over the place. Everyone in town would associate that car with her. LOL - It was really something to see...

After school - I move up north to Seattle with the 2002 and a mid 80's Chevy S-10 PU as my daily driver ( Yeah - I know... but in all fairness, the S-10 really was a decent small truck and did everthing I asked of it.... and had 4WD - helped out in the Seattle snows....) The Mustang was promised to me (eventually) - but Mom was driving it and the car was going along doing ok. But - it was starting show its age.... and increasingly so. One day - during one of her jaunts down Big Sur, the car stalled and stranded her. She had to get it towed home. That is the last time she drove it (mid 1990s). She didn't trust it any longer. The car then was put in storage till (as she said it) - I could take it up north and give it a good 'going over'. LOL, By that time, it needed more than that, and more than I could give it... But - oh well - I would have to sit on it till I had the space (and $$) to mess with it. The car spends the next several years being shuffled from family driveways to storage places and so on down near my parents home.

Calendar moves along about 10+ years and ... I get a place that has a garage for the car and... 2 or 3 months after I move in, the Mustang is in my garage (my brother had it in his driveway and was READY to get that $%^)) car to me - LOL). The car is transferred to my name shortly after that time. Mom calls me one night to talk about the 'rag top' as she called it. She wants to get it restored. She wants to pay for it. And she wants to go driving in it again... with me. :)
Now, she is not driving any longer - the dogs are LONG gone but she still loves that car.

So - I find a place up north here (near Seattle) for doing the car and... They do an AWESOME job. Yes, it cost us a pretty penny - but was totally worth it. The restoration lasts 18 months.
All during the restoration - my Mom is planning a 'Car Party' for showing it off as well as have a small family reunion - LOTS of folks will be coming. So - I get the car all set and trailer the car down to CA and... the car is AWESOME... (see pics). She plans this party for probably well over a year. Was awesome to see everyone. I must have given 10 rides in the car to the young kids there and out of town folks. Was a great day.

The day after the party, I take Mom back down Big Sur in the Mustang... this time with the top up as the wind is a bit stronger than she remembers it being - LOL..... :)
She loves it. She notices the radio now has FM as well as AM - she smiles. She likes the sound of the engine. She didn't remember the car being so rattly - I say that is is in better shape now then before - LOL. Still, she really likes the shape the car is in and is very happy to see it again.

Well, I return to Seattle a few days later and am unpacking after driving up when we receive a call that Mom callopsed at home and has been taken to the hospital..
We quickly put everything away and return to CA. Everyone knew she was not doing well during the 'car party' - but we had no idea how bad it had become.
When we received the call, it was late in the day. It was almost the same to leave Seattle at 9pm driving (that day) as it was to fly the next day. As such, we drove... and arrived at the hospital at 11am. Yeah - I flew down I5 - but didn't care. Mom passed away just in time for us to see her.

It was almost as if she was hanging on to see everyone at her party (the 'car' party) - but it was really a way to say goodbye. We just didn't know it til a short time later.
FYI - the trip down Big Sur in the Mustang is the last time Mom left her house (other than in an ambulance). Feels good (even many years later) to see the Mustang sitting in my garage knowing Mom is happy I still have it going strong....

…….such a beautiful story…..
Thank you so much for sharing this…..
Easily should be a movie……

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
What a wonderful story! Thanks for taking the time to put that together. Very inspirational.

Barry.b

Reaction score

Well, I return to Seattle a few days later and am unpacking after driving up when we receive a call that Mom collapsed at home and has been taken to the hospital..

Thank you for sharing ,that is a lovely story !
My own mother passed away 2 1/2 years ago and even though her car was not as cool as your mum’s , she minded her car like it was her baby. She had a 1998 Ford Fiesta that she bought new and she only put 27000 miles on it.
It is on its second set of tires as the factory ones cracked with age .
And it is on its second battery and it got a new exhaust pipe about 4 years ago, as the first one rusted through.
My mother had 6 kids and 14 grandkids , so over the years she was often drafted in to help collect or drop off grandkids here and there , that is .. as long as their shoes were clean getting into the car !!! :)
Anyway
I still have her car , just parked where she always parked it outside our house and I recently moved it around the back of our house to pump up the tyres and give it a wash , she lived beside myself and my wife and kids in a granny flat which I built for her and she was happy out there for about 18 years when her age finally caught up with her .
We would be “busy” rearing our 3 kids , doing homework and so on and we’d hear a car door close outside , and it would be my mother either heading out for a while or coming back from being out somewhere.
I could normally get out to have a quick chat with her before she’d head in to put the kettle on or whatever.
anyway As I was saying I moved her car to pump up the tires and when I closed the door of it , the sound of the door closing brought all of the memories flooding back .
Sharing Your story today brought a smile to my face as I remembered my own Mam
Thanks again for sharing :)

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ahh, such stories are what life should be about.

My wife's aunt left NY in 1967, moved to Huntington Beach and bought her first car, a lime gold 1967 mustang coupe. My wife recalls visiting them from NY as a little girl and reflects so fondly of drives in that Mustang. Fast forward to 2015, her aunt passes away, her uncle comes into NY and we all have dinner. He tells me that his kids don't want the car, he is saddened that he has to sell it (he is 87 at this point). I told him that my wife has fond memories of that car and he tells me he would be thrilled if we took it and kept it in the family. He charged me $1.00 for it and said I had to arrange to get it to the east coast. I did so secretly and gave it to my wife as a birthday gift!.

When he said " the car is beautiful, restored and needs nothing" I busted his stones the way guys from NYC do and said it needed every bushing to be replaced and the front end totally rebuilt. He said to me What the f- do you want for a dollar? I told him I demand 25cents back. Needless to say, it is the only American car in our stable and priceless to us.