Where do I find VINs on an E9

tripower

Reaction score
Obviously I am in the market so I would like to ask the experts.

Where do I find all of the VINs on an E9 coupe, body and engine?
Any other things to look for? I am looking for a LONG term project car so I expect every vehicle to be a rust bucket (and I know the rockers are infamous for rusting thru). Thanks bunch.

Andrey's correct.............it's stamped on the vertical portion of the firewall (passenger side) just to the left of the heater box. Number on the engine is stamped on a boss on the block just over the starter. There should also be a VIN tag riveted on to the body (again, passenger side) behind the firewall, on the horizontal portion of the body (once you lift the hood) although clearly these can be fudged or modified as the tag is riveted on. I've never seen the number on the frame rail though.

Andrey's correct.............it's stamped on the vertical portion of the firewall (passenger side) just to the left of the heater box. Number on the engine is stamped on a boss on the block just over the starter. There should also be a VIN tag riveted on to the body (again, passenger side) behind the firewall, on the horizontal portion of the body (once you lift the hood) although clearly these can be fudged or modified as the tag is riveted on. I've never seen the number on the frame rail though.

Could someone take some digital pics of these VIN locations, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Hello tripower,

Some real life pictures of the chassis number and engine number. I have marked the places with red circle where you can see these numbers.

Andrey, you wrote that on the USA cars there is an extra vin on the steering column. Can you take a picture about this number? On my pictures there are european cars.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.capabmw.hu/e9vin/vin1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.capabmw.hu/e9vin/vin2.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.capabmw.hu/e9vin/engine-vin-1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.capabmw.hu/e9vin/engine-vin-2.jpg

Missing VIN tag

Carl Nelson (and others) have them. Look in the links list on this site.

Re: Missing VIN tag

Carl Nelson (and others) have them. Look in the links list on this site.

Cool, thanks. Are these new plates that you have stamped on order or how does this work?

New VIN plates

Yes, they are new plates and you will have to stamp the VIN for your car.

Re: New VIN plates

Yes, they are new plates and you will have to stamp the VIN for your car.

I went to some of those sites but I did not see those plates in their catalog. What sites, again, can I purchase one of these plates?

OK, one more time. I can find all of the VINs except on the engine block. I have looked all around the starter and I cannot find any hint of VIN. The pictures that were a part of this thread are now broken links. Can anyone with a CSi take a quick photo of the engine block VIN, thanks.

Isn't the VIN on the ring around the starter? There is a flat section, in plain view. With the engine at the proper angle, the face is nearly straight up.

Isn't the VIN on the ring around the starter? There is a flat section, in plain view. With the engine at the proper angle, the face is nearly straight up.

Is this ring removable or actually part of the block?

It's part of the block. It wouldn't make much sense if it was removable, would it? It's the part of the block pinched between the starter motor and the transmission bell housing. Just above the upper starter to bell housing bolt. Just in line with the firewall. You will probably have to clean the surface to be able to read the numbers.

Tom M said:
It's part of the block. It wouldn't make much sense if it was removable, would it? It's the part of the block pinched between the starter motor and the transmission bell housing. Just above the upper starter to bell housing bolt. Just in line with the firewall. You will probably have to clean the surface to be able to read the numbers.

Yes, that's usually rusty.

It's the exact same place on the 2002s for all the VINs on the E9. Well, it was for my Coupe. 8)

Back