Where is TDC?

nealf

Reaction score
Can I accurately find it with the markings on the flywheel? In a previous post I have stated I found the following markings on the flywheel:

'N'
silver ball
silver ball

In that order, advancing the timing this is my finding. I thoght there was a 'notch' after the silver ball and thought there was only one ball. I cannot get the car started after replacing the distributor from an aftermarket one to the correct one. Thanks again.

Best place in my opinion is on the crank pulley at the front of the engine. It's a little hard to see, you'll need a flashlight most likely, but there is a indicator mark cast in to the front of the timing chain cover, and a hash mark on the pulley which looks like this:

T (|) O

Alternately, take the cam/rocker cover off, and turn the engine until the rocker arms on no1 cylinder are "loose" ie not pushing the valves open, and the cam lobes should be pointing down. There may be a mark an the cam, but you can also tell by lining up the cam sprocket locating pin at 90 degrees. All these things give you a pretty accurate guide to TDC. Then you can reference back to your flywheel markings and silver balls. You may need to pull the plugs out so you can turn the motor over very slowly so you can watch all these various things. Then install the distributor in such a way that when the rotor arm turns as you push the dizzy in, it ends up pointing to the notch in the top of the dizzy housing. I think someone has already mentioned this. Then reassemble everything and try to start it. Advancing the dizzy a few degrees can make it easier to start... Good luck!

Back