Where to connect towing winch?

tripower

Reaction score
I have a rolling e9 chassis that I need to get up on a trailer. More than likely I will be accessing the car from the rear as the front is not accessible. What is the best way to connect a winch to get this on a trailer. I don't want to damage the body or rear suspension (of course). Any suggestions are appreciated.

There is a very wimpy tow loop welded to the bottom of the spare tire well. I would only use this to get the car turned around so that you can access the tow loops on the front suspension subframe. Pull the car up onto the trailer using the front tow loops (if they are not already broken.) The rear of the car doesn't really have anything substantial to grab onto, other than the rear subframe.

There is a very wimpy tow loop welded to the bottom of the spare tire well. I would only use this to get the car turned around so that you can access the tow loops on the front suspension subframe. Pull the car up onto the trailer using the front tow loops (if they are not already broken.) The rear of the car doesn't really have anything substantial to grab onto, other than the rear subframe.

Thanks, where exactly are the fron loops located?

Whenever I load a coupe (or any BMW with the wimpy tire well towing hook), I use a nylon endless loop sling cinched over the rear cross member or the lower suspension member and then attach the winch hook to that.

The sling I use is a 1" single ply heavy duty 4 ft.endless loop. Similar to McMaster-Carr 3403T681 with an optional 1 ft.added.

http://www.mcmaster.com/ find 3403T681

Any local industrial supply house should have similar slings.

I feed a loop over the lower suspension member being careful to place it so the brake line will not be not pinched and pass the other end through the loop and pull it snug.

Tom

Be very careful if using the front tow hooks. Was standing behind a car being delivered to Carl Nelson and as the car was being lowered off the flatbed (which was using the tow hook as an attachment point) the hook snapped off the car sending it off the truck at quite a hurried pace. The nylon strap around a suspension piece is a far better idea.

Tow loops

It's my understanding (this is hearsay) that the loop on the spare tire well was used to secure the car during cross-Atlantic shipping. I expect the two front loops, at the front "frame" rails, were used similarly.

I also have had a front loop break off during towing, and it's no fun. The geometry of the tow changes quite a bit, quite suddenly. Of course it only happens when coming around a very sharp bend at an 18% grade...

Even if it' s only a rollilng chassis, I wouldn't use the rear loop. Jack it up, support it, and get a tow rope or sling around something meant to take the thrust of the wheels. I'll continue to use the front loops, mostly because they are fairly securely welded to the subframe, won't cause the sling to rub on the body, and there's little else (easily) available.

but you've been warned

The front tow loops are 10-mm mild steel. Under normal circumstances this would be more than enough to deal with the tow situation. However, after 30+ years of hitting various protruding ground objects and subsequently being bent back in place, the steel gets work hardened and cracks. Of the loops on the two coupes I have owned, three out of four were completely broken off. For some reason, the original loops on my Bav are in exellent condition, so it is a crap shoot. Point: check the loops before securing the car with them. The cracks are fairly easy to spot with a little wire brushing. Again, I wouldn't trust the rear tow loop to secure wedding cans.

Back