Which floor jack to purchase?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had one of those orange made-in-China floor jacks that lasted 25 years, even after being used in a shop every day, now I own a couple cheap Harbor Freight pieces of crap that leak and one that just stopped working all together. What do you guys own and are you happy with it? I don't trust online reviews much either. Seriously, how hard can it be to have a mechanical lift arm with a decent hydraulic pump?

I use a HF with a 2.5" low nose. I have had it about 5+years now and is perfect. No leaks and good height, and stable.
I had a Montgomery Wards lift for my first and it lasted 30 years, so have been lucky.
There are some things that just don't need to be over built if done right and this lift is one on them.
I don't use daily but it is always with in reach.
My recommend! Less than $100

I use a HF with a 2.5" low nose. I have had it about 5+years now and is perfect. No leaks and good height, and stable.
I had a Montgomery Wards lift for my first and it lasted 30 years, so have been lucky.
There are some things that just don't need to be over built if done right and this lift is one on them.
I don't use daily but it is always with in reach.
My recommend! Less than $100

The one that stopped working is a HF 2.5" low nose.

To me, most of the jacks look like the same manufacturer sold under different names.

To me, most of the jacks look like the same manufacturer sold under different names.

I really like my HF aluminum race jack. I’m sure it won’t last forever but it’s nice and light and has served me several years now. I always use jack stands plus the jack (and often a horizontal tire) when under the car.

I've used HF aluminum "Race" jacks for years and had zero problems. We've carried the small 1.5 ton version all over the nation behind the passenger seat of a 2002 and plan to do the same with the CS. It seems to me that HF quality has actually improved over the last few years..... Yeah, I know that is a low bar.....

I you want a bigger aluminum jack, I got the Jegs 2ton jack for $149. Sure it’s heavier (55lbs?), but it is big enough to work on my race car, my tow vehicle (e70 diesel), or even the trailer (20ft ATC). I bought it on eBay by making them a lowball offer.

Have a HF alum jack and love the light weight convenience. About 4 years now with zero issues.

I have the HF blue and silver aluminum low profile one, and have had no trouble for the past 3 or 4 years. I think it is a 1.5 ton. Bought it on sale, and it was less than $100 - maybe $75.

I have the HF blue and silver aluminum low profile one, and have had no trouble for the past 3 or 4 years. I think it is a 1.5 ton. Bought it on sale, and it was less than $100 - maybe $75.
That's the one I have that's fairly new. The bigger one is bad.

My 1.5 ton Pittsburgh has been okay although I make sure I only lift one corner at a time. The big blue/silver Pittsburgh leaks like a sieve but I inherited that one with not much history. I guess I'll try one of those since most of you have been happy with it. I don't want to lift a steel jack anymore. Not worth the pain.

I really like my HF aluminum race jack. I’m sure it won’t last forever but it’s nice and light and has served me several years now. I always use jack stands plus the jack (and often a horizontal tire) when under the car.

Also good for installing 29’ beams. Just need to find the center point. :D

Beam only weighed about 700lbs but the floor jack approach (with backup supports) works surprisingly well.

3925FC24-8002-4E41-B169-84E2B5DE92F6.jpeg

2A014D78-E0B4-4AB9-8C5B-D1374C8BD218.jpeg

Sidebar, I’m now an expert boom forklift operator. So much fun it should cost more than $260 to rent. :D

B9AC659B-8701-4B27-9B1C-F04E98C17980.jpeg

Indeed, I have the same light weight jack that @Markos pictured, though in a different paint scheme. I love it.
Bought it two years ago after my larger steel version was slowly lowering my car unintentionally: I ditched that before it did me. had it for about 6 years before it died.

O how we are all depending on Chinese imports....

Back