Which Optima to replace exploded battery?

Garrett

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone have 1st hand experience with an Optima gel battery that fits in the stock underhood location? I understand height may be an issue.

My Interstate MT47 exploded on Thursday, first a lound gunshot, then plenty of smoke. Case ruptured on all four sides, caps blown out, terminals gone limber. Whatever the cause, it was a big blast. Luckily no damage to self or car. This was a three year old but otherwise healthy battery.

So first, replace with the least volatile battery (once was enough), then diagnose.

garrett

Optima

I don't have the model number on hand at the moment, but you can find reference for the proper replacement pretty easily as I recall. Try the optima site or your auto parts store guide. Note your current battery model for comparison.

Costco is cheapest source and Pep Boys also carry Optima. Red top fits right in with no clearance issues in my coupe.

Re: Optima

I don't have the model number on hand at the moment, but you can find reference for the proper replacement pretty easily as I recall. Try the optima site or your auto parts store guide. Note your current battery model for comparison.

Costco is cheapest source and Pep Boys also carry Optima. Red top fits right in with no clearance issues in my coupe.

Red Top, 34R. R for reverse posts, which matches BMW's cable setup.

Re: Optima

Red Top, 34R. R for reverse posts, which matches BMW's cable setup.

Just an update for those that may be interested... I really wanted the Yellow Top for its deep cycle (i.e storage friendly) properties. So I got the 34/78 (78 just means it has front and top posts, if they'd had the a plain 34 I'd have gotten that). It doesn't come in an R, but then again it's the same post layout as the Interstate I had and it seems to fit just fine in the stock location.

Garrett

Back