Which Steering Wheel is the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search Petri, Alpina, Momo, Nardi and you'll find previous discussions on these wheels. Some also like the larger stock "bus" wheel in leather or wood.

I am ready to step up and get a better steering wheel for my 1974 3.0 CS. I like the wood ones but not sure what size, etc. I like Coupeguy's wheel shown here but not sure size, etc. I know an adapter is required. http://www.coupeguy.com/roadsteeringwheelsfs.htm

Scott

Hello,
Whatever you choose, look for a larger size, 14" plus in diameter. Seems to 'fit' the ****pit better.

just my 2 cents
-shanon

Scott, I would not get a wheel less than 380mm. After driving my car and yours back to back, I really felt it was obvious that the feel of the car was engineered for the larger wheel like the one you have. I think a 400 MM would be ideal for enjoying that Idaho scenery. I love the looks of the Nardi in a wood wheel and the Petri overall. You can always see a selection of Petris on Ebay.De search under the words Lenkrad BMW Petri.

thanks for advice

i'm off to shop now. Please confirm that the adapter can be purchased separately and fit any of these wheels generally. How big is the stock wheel, 400?

The pre-74 bus wheels are about 420mm I think, not sure of the 74 size (measure yours if stock), Petris are 400 or 380mm for the coupe, Nardi's come in 390 etc - just find a style you like then make sure it is >= 380mm and preferably comes with an e9 adapter and horn button, if you have a question on the adapter there are experts here that can answer such. My Petri is 400mm and it fills the cabin pefectly to my liking although a 380 wouldn't suck either :mrgreen:

All good

I like the Nardi and have a vintage hub in the stash, no wheel and waiting on a deal. Also have a four spoke Momo. Don't like the wheel as it has no finger notches and the hub is ugly as well as being too long. Driving with a leather notched unit I believe came from a 320i, 380 mm three spoke and has a hub that fits perfect, covering the console in a tasteful manner. Riveted to the wheel however. I have seen other cars using this wheel. Hmmm...wonder if Peter would give me a deal on the 390 mm Nardi sans the hub, as this seems to be the difficult item to find. Yet to test fit the hub I have for the Nardi, will have to do this and report back. For sure this hub is as short as they come. Will not fit the Momo, different screw pattern.

The 320 wheel

As far as I know, interchange-abilty between wheels and hubs, does not work. This is the 380 mm 320 as installed. 300K on my old 'benz I like leather and the notches, comfort level....
100_1904.jpg

100_1905.jpg

Old guy, what can I say?
Excuse the mess, wiring in progress...

My all time E9 favorite steering wheel is the 380mm leather Petri. It has the perfect size, style, grip and the ultimate in "cool".
6336109609_286f2a8d1e_o.jpg

Second favorite is the 380mm 4 spoke Alpina. Also very pretty and cool SW, although the fat grip is kind of slippy due to the fact that there are no finger notches at the back of the wheel.
6336055615_72da856fa7_o.jpg

Still one of my favorite wheels after all these years...the classic 370mm mahogany Nardi.
6336083317_39ca073815_o.jpg

Fitted this 350mm Momo Prototipo for a few days...way too small and look kind of out of place for a coupe.
6336900860_2d2e1ab918_o.jpg

Last edited:
Petris R Us

Speaking of Petris, I will soon have two 400mm Petris newly recovered with leather in Germany complete with all the right bits in like new condition. In a month or two I will also have three 380mm diameter wheels in new leather. They will be expensive, inquire at [email protected] for more info or to put your name in line to buy.

Also going to have a mold made to make the black conically shaped cover that goes over the adaptor hub and will have those available to sell. Replace your old broken or cracked cover with a perfect reproduction. Price TBD. Again, email me at [email protected] if interested.

I can find 350s as well and can supply any wheel with the 02 adaptor for you 2002 types out there.

is this a good price for the adapter and horn button?

per the ebay seller of the new nardi wheel:

yes, we have both in stock. Hub is $103.60 Horn button is $140.00

- crowderscustomizing

is this the market price?

per the ebay seller of the new nardi wheel: yes, we have both in stock. Hub is $103.60 Horn button is $140.00

I dealt with Crowders a couple years ago when I was installing a Nardi, and was pleased with their price & service. But I gotta admit, their prices seem to have risen: $243.60 for a hub and horn button seems a bit much.

Adding to the confusion, if you search "BMW hub" their website you will find one for $71.25 that fits a Bavaria (see: http://shop.vendio.com/crowderscustomizing/item/929461317/index.html ) and one for $103.60 that fits "all 2800's" (see: http://shop.vendio.com/crowderscustomizing/item/930945646/index.html ). Wonder what Crowders suggests for a 2800 Bavaria (which should be the same as an e9)?

But the $140 horn button is the price that's hard to figure. I knew the Dollar had declined against the Euro, but since all this stuff is made in China, wtf?

Wheels

I would go for the wheel Dan (coupeguy) has, 390 mm and complete with all you need for a straight bolt on show as well as the nice BMW center and proper hub, if you have decided on a Nardi. Dan, just what is this conical piece you will create? Any photo of what you intend?
Hope you enjoyed the book I recommended, I sure did.

Also going to have a mold made to make the black conically shaped cover that goes over the adaptor hub and will have those available to sell. Replace your old broken or cracked cover with a perfect reproduction. Price TBD. Again, email me at [email protected] if interested.

Hey Dan, do you plan to do both plastic cover hub covers? The 380mm (CSL) and the 400mm hubs are of slightly different lengths, although can't remember which one is longer. They are both interchangeable though. I have both hubs and they do have different part numbers engraved within them.

Now, we need the original old style Petri BMW horn buttons reproduced by someone or company. :idea:

Petris R Us

per the ebay seller of the new nardi wheel:

yes, we have both in stock. Hub is $103.60 Horn button is $140.00

- crowderscustomizing

No way is a horn button worth that kind of money. I found a BMW Roundel emblazoned horn button that will fit Nardi, Momo and with a bit of work the Petri. It has two contacts, so one is for the ground. If for instance you have a Petri you will need to do a ground wire to somewhere on the adaptor. I have these available for $59, check my website at www.coupeguy.com for a pic tomorrow (Sunday 11/13).

To the inquiry about the Petri hub cover/collar, its the black tapered plastic piece with a fine grain pattern surface that goes over the adaptor of the Petri only, not intended for any other wheels like a Nardi or Momo. There will only be one length which will work with any Petri, if you find it too long a bit of sawing and sanding should fix that. I have never seen a difference, are you sure they were different? As for pricing on the hub cover, thats TBD, but probably about $90-100 each. Check my website for pics of that as well.

Petri's designs seems something of an enigma, I know a fellow in Germany who used to work for Petri's prototype shop and he doesnt seem to know anything about that. Petri had some odd hub covers, I believe its the Audi or VW that looked to have a backwards taper, it tapered to smaller at the bottom. Odd.

Hey Dan, do you plan to do both plastic cover hub covers? The 380mm (CSL) and the 400mm hubs are of slightly different lengths, although can't remember which one is longer. They are both interchangeable though. I have both hubs and they do have different part numbers engraved within them.

Now, we need the original old style Petri BMW horn buttons reproduced by someone or company. :idea:

I have a horn button that will work with a bit of filing, BMW Roundel emblem, two contacts rather than one so a ground has to be arranged on the hub and not precisely the same design but it will work. $59 each and can be seen on my home page at www.coupeguy.com by tomorrow (Sunday 11/13).

Petris R Us

I would go for the wheel Dan (coupeguy) has, 390 mm and complete with all you need for a straight bolt on show as well as the nice BMW center and proper hub, if you have decided on a Nardi. Dan, just what is this conical piece you will create? Any photo of what you intend?
Hope you enjoyed the book I recommended, I sure did.

Hey Pamp, the hub cover will be Petri specific, not adaptable (easily) to Nardis or Momos. Petri used them on all their BMW wheels, Bert says the hubs are different lengths altho I have never seen that (doesnt mean it isnt true, Bert) myself. The cover will be one length, will have pics up on my website soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back