Which Taiga Green? Both BMW 072

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have been using a Taiga green from a supplier in eastern Ma and now having the whole car painted and the Taiga to be used is very different. Which one is closer to the original?
Left is what has been used, right is proposed for the entire car.

IMG_0610 (3).jpg

As for me that one on the left is proper one, but it doesn't have clear coat that's why it might look more greenish/sharper.

Last edited:
What part of the car is the left in? Doug Mckenzie's is closer to the right color swatch when in the sun.
IMG_2360.jpeg

face it, metallics change greatly depending on how the sunlight hits them. the paint sample is at a different angle than the body - align them better and take a new pic. to me the one on the left looks correct but i tend to prefer the sample on the right ... and i know i like Doug's coupe.

the other thing to do is to have the painter search for a #1 match for painting the whole car or touch up. i know there was great difference in the different ceylon formulas. the current formula from Glasurit was not close and in fact they did not recommend it for touching up original formulas, only full respray

One on the left is PPG, the one on the right is Glasurit. Restorer says Glasurit made the original. Image is side-by-side with indoor lighting. Part of the car is under the hood, on the right and just left of the headlight access plate.

I have no idea which one is more "correct", but I personally like the one on the right a little more.

there is no way you can judge a color on your computer monitor
I used to have a dual monitor set up, same color looked complete different from one to the other
You could try and find an original part that was out of the sun to match / have it measured

It would be cool to have a "paint code registry" where members that have tracked down accurate formulas for their repaint from another member or source (@rsporsche comes to mind with his Ceylon) upload the info so that a prospective restorer could get a correct looking modern equivalent formula.

It would be cool to have a "paint code registry" where members that have tracked down accurate formulas for their repaint from another member or source (@rsporsche comes to mind with his Ceylon) upload the info so that a prospective restorer could get a correct looking modern equivalent formula.
that's a great idea Steve. i will post the exact paint + formula once i have it.

there is no way you can judge a color on your computer monitor
I used to have a dual monitor set up, same color looked complete different from one to the other
You could try and find an original part that was out of the sun to match / have it measured

Agreed. You can judge relativity though, as the initial image highlights. The other important thing is to actually compare to original colors. That is why I attempted show originals. Comparing your car to any other exterior color will likely result in comparing repaint A to repaint B.

I've just been going through this myself, albiet on my 2002. The color you show on the right more closely matches the PPG color sample I had made. The formulation of which is similar to Mal's photo.

As has been said, Taiga changes a LOT depending on lighting. Fortunately, working for Peter and Erik part time meant they loaned me their sheet-metal color samples for Taiga as extra back-up for the matching process.

20191019-125840-1571515157068 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

I swear there is nothing more jaw dropping than fresh Taiga paint. It’s just so spectacular!

I swear there is nothing more jaw dropping than fresh Taiga paint. It’s just so spectacular!

Agree wholeheartedly! Really, most of the greens are great to my eyes. I just sold this but it was really fun wet sanding and polishing. The greens just pop when they are in great shape. At least it's German!

nice side shot.jpg

Agree wholeheartedly! Really, most of the greens are great to my eyes. I just sold this but it was really fun wet sanding and polishing. The greens just pop when they are in great shape. At least it's German!

Is that 1:18 or 1:24? Nice touch with the road debris!

J/K. Excellent photos! :D Lovely machine.

Back