While we're at it, what will be your next car- if any?

petert

Reaction score
I've always had an eye for cars that are well designed. So, I bought my '73 CS with 87k original miles as the third owner. I completely restored this California car to it's original stock Ceylon color with carmel color leather interior (Bimmer Magazine Feb/2008). It could have gone concours but I think it's important to drive, so she goes out on our wine country roads every week (as long as it doesn't rain).

But the look is what I love and I found my heart's desire. It's a '67 Ferrari 330 GTC. I think (no, I KNOW) the BMW designers copied this classic to give us our beautiful Coupe (click on the link to see lots of pictures). All the features that make the coupe an eye-turner are clearly in this design.

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/imgview.php?reqcardir=FE-330GTC-09593&imgnum=P007

This type of Ferrari is the target for me. I love the Coupe but I absolutely adore the Ferrari. I know it's going to take a lot of time, research, cash, hard work and some luck to get another restoraton project like the Coupe has provided but life's too short not to grab for the stars.

Anyway, hope you liked the pictures of the Ferrari. Take care, PeterT

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I love those older style Ferraris, from a body design standpoint, even though they are apparently more difficult to drive than just about anything out there.

Also from a body standpoint, I really like the Chrysler 300F. 400 hp doesn't hurt, either.

I am also a fan of the 30s Supercharged Cords. I actually found one close to where I live, (non-supercharged, unfortunately) which was mostly complete, but I just don't have the scratch for it.

I know it will be about as reliable as, oh, a DeLorian, but I think the Triumph GT6 (in all its incarnations) looks fantastic. The coupe looks so much better than the 'vert.

Then, there's the older Jags, the older Mercs, an original fastback mustang, the usual cars.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
gtc butt end...

I'm with you on the GTC backside (see my post in "age", below, almost concurrent with your post...great minds...), but I guess my wife and dog get the next pick..time the replace the Volvo 850T wagon, my daily driver, with a V70R wagon. About a four or five year old, I think. A necessity buy, but more fun than it looks...Dave V. in NC

pj

Reaction score
lotus elise/exige, that is of course if I could fit my big ass in them andd or get out of the damn thing

jmackro

Reaction score
My "next" will be an Alfa Sprint GT

petert said:
I found my heart's desire. It's a '67 Ferrari 330 GTC. I think (no, I KNOW) the BMW designers copied this classic to give us our beautiful Coupe (click on the link to see lots of pictures). All the features that make the coupe an eye-turner are clearly in this design.

Peter:

Not much doubt that the 330 GTC has a lot in common with the CS coupes: that 1960's design with the long hood / short deck, hot engine, 2-place seating.... However, from a practicality perspective, the CS has it all over the Ferrari in terms of cost of parts, availability of parts, durability, insurance cost, yadda yadda. I too lust for a 330 GTC, but know that I have more fun with my coupe.

What I also have is a 1966 Alfa Romeo Sprint GT - sort of a 2/3 sized version of the CS Coupe. Both cars share some design heritage: Giorgetto Giugiaro penned the Sprint GT, and later the BMW 3200 from which the coupe evolved. Although the Alfa isn't exactly my "next" car (I've had it since 2000), I have had my coupe longer, so at one time the Alfa was my "next" car.

7740159aebcce05b4ff6a953e8749dea.jpg
[/quote]

YBNormal

Reaction score
Oh To Be.....a 330 GTC

A few lines from David E. Davis's road test of the 330 GTC in Car & Driver from 1967 describe how many of us feel. While stopped at a gas station, two boys of about 11 were gazing in wonder on the Ferrari when one remarked...."I'd sure like to have one!" To which the other replied...."Have one......I'd like to Be One!"

Other than the general proportions I don't see much that Herr Hoffmeister would have copied from the 330 GTC. The closest thing from the domestic makers at the time were the Camaro and Mustang ponycars. But the E9 was developed to a much higher (and more expen$ive) level. Very typical of the times in that it's smaller on the outside but with much more usable space.

Tierfreund

Reaction score
I know I´m out of my mind, but besides my E3 (which I´ll need to keep so I have a car that will start), I know the next Titanic I´ll be entering is

wait for it

a first gen (pre 1979)

British Leyland built (ouch)

Jaguar XJ-S :!:

It hurts just thinking about the pain it´s going to cause, but I know it´s my destiny (something about having been hyperspeeded in the back seat of a red one from the middle of germany to the south of switzerland when I was about 5 years old (talk about impressionable age).

Jup, I know how stupid that is, but I can´t help it...

I´ll forgoe the mens fashion that would be period correct though!

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Tierfreund said:
I know I´m out of my mind, but besides my E3 (which I´ll need to keep so I have a car that will start), I know the next Titanic I´ll be entering is

wait for it

a first gen (pre 1979)

British Leyland built (ouch)

Jaguar XJ-S :!:

It hurts just thinking about the pain it´s going to cause, but I know it´s my destiny (something about having been hyperspeeded in the back seat of a red one from the middle of germany to the south of switzerland when I was about 5 years old (talk about impressionable age).

Jup, I know how stupid that is, but I can´t help it...

I´ll forgoe the mens fashion that would be period correct though!

Why not use these guys?

http://www.kwecars.com/

They have already done all the electrical fixes, like getting rid of the abominable Lucas electronics.

Tierfreund

Reaction score
x_atlas0 said:
Why not use these guys?

http://www.kwecars.com/

They have already done all the electrical fixes, like getting rid of the abominable Lucas electronics.

Great minds think alike ! :D

I´ve heard about KWE and I like what they´re doing. But besides cost (their upgrades are great but very costly), I actually want the shoddy build quality, the spontaneus combustion of the car, in short I like the Max Mosley side of the early XJ-S (google Max, if you don´t know what I´m onto...)
Like I said, I know I´m a nutter... :oops:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've seen some beautifully modified XJ-S's in the states with American V8's for power plants. "Lumps" I think they're called. :wink: Beautiful cars, although I think I like the four headlight setup over the euro ones. Not sure why.

Dan

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
That Ferrari's quite nice

My next car (picking it up tomorrow):

0c93a7e620b0dbed8a287629e5250654.jpg

atan888

Reaction score
atan888 said:
Alfa GTV (step nose) is next in my list :D

After seeing this post. I finally got one last night. It was a 67 GTV Veloce in the same color. I drove 15 hours straight to pick it up and drive it back home :D

atan888

Reaction score
dp said:
That Ferrari's quite nice

My next car (picking it up tomorrow):

0c93a7e620b0dbed8a287629e5250654.jpg

Thats a cool Touring Dale. Is that the one from Sacramento? I had a RHD inka Touring and they are nice cars . Now that car Evan sold for me in 48hrs. I just could not get used of RHD. Congrats on your new T.

MPD47

Reaction score
The e9 was really the last car that I had on my list of cars I really desired to own "right now". I have no plans to buy anything else other than a new truck.