White 1973 3.0 CS - Seattle

alanmcg

Reaction score
autronic fuel injection?

looked at this car this weekend, it does run rough - when i asked about it, here is what the owner said/wrote:

'The injection conversion was initially made in ’99 with the Bosch L-Jetronic systems from a 1981 528i. After the motor was rebuilt in 2004, the Bosch fuel injection management system was swapped for a programmable Autronic system.
the idle “hunts” while the car warms up. After the car is warm, the “hunting” fades to a steady idle. This is not a problem while driving, but it is a little annoying when sitting still. The trouble lies in finding the right fuel map through the warm up stage of the car – my mechanic has been tweaking the Autronic system to address the issue, but it is not yet resolved.'

does this just sound like an adjustment problem? if so, you would sure think his 'mechanic' could figure it out??

thnks much,
alanmcg

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I do not know anything about the Autronic system and its features. I am running a different, after-market, fully programmable system. The mapping of the idle region was one of the trickiest. In my case I had to run the fuel mixture a bit on the rich side. Also, it was recommended to spread the 4 adjacent map points out far enough beyond the target idle rpm and manifold pressure to keep the idle from hunting around. These table points should also have the same values (a kind of flat low spot in the table curve). For example, if the target idle is around 900 rpm then the the idle points on either side should not be 890 and 910, but further apart, say 700 to 1100. The goal is, that if the idle drops outside this flat region than the adjacent settings will increase or decrease fuel causing the idle to return to the desired region. If there is too small a region then it can pass right through to the other side - and go back and forth (hunting).

Another possible issue could be the engine rebuild. Can you find out what was done on the rebuild? For example, if a higher degree cam shaft was used then the idle is more difficult to dial in, as the engine does not perform as well at low rpms (so I have been told). I do not know what other engine mods would have similar effects (too light a flywheel?).

It could also be that the cold starting valves or EFI settings needs some work. The MegaSquirt system that I am using has various tables for the cold start condition that adjust timing and fuel mixtures based on temperature and loads.

If the rest of the car is sound, from a rust, paint, trim, and interiors perspective, then it seems that the fuel injection system is a less critical factor. You could have a different system installed, especially since most of the hardware elements are already in place (pumps, injectors, etc) - the Motronic 1.3 is popular and works well on these cars.

Good luck.

alanmcg

Reaction score
hi sven - dont have any detail on the engine rebuild, but think stock cam and flywheel. says all the work on the car has been done at car tender? do you know this place? who looks after your car here in seattle?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Alan,

Never heard of them. I do all my own work on the EFI system. It definitely came with a big learning curve. The Autronic EFI system may have a support/user forum that you could do some research in, if one exists. Another option might be some local dyno shops. The after-market EFI crowd tends to use them a lot.

TimP

Reaction score
Car Tender

Car Tender is a european garage on capitol hill, 12th Ave just north of Pine. They've been there for years and as far as I know have a good reputation.