Who is running the show at BMW ???

soxrus

Reaction score
Some may not yet know ..... some may not care .... but for the life of me, I can't understand the logic of current management at BMW NA with regards to Motorsport ..... http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060814/FREE/60807025/1031/FREE

I'm sure glad that BMW has made some great cars in past years and develpoed some impressive motorsport history .... because the future for BMW fans with a true passion looks VERY DARK !!!!!

Be Safe all, Jimmy

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
Jimmy-

You're spot-on. That's just pathetic that BMW cannot even assist PTG until the new M3's come out.

What about M5's or M6's?? Do they actually race those models anywhere other than on internet chat room/forums?? You know the typical question: "Can my 2006 M5 eat up a new Z06?"

Add the lame showing in F1, even after buying out Sauber, and you've got a company that is not exactly stoking the fire for motorsports fans.

Peace,

Glenn in Encinitas

shanon

Reaction score
is this the death of the true M-sport BMW..........probably.
I guess they don't have to worry about the old axiom:
"Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday" anymore.

i think they're selling enough units just fine now w/out racing, they have nothing to prove anymore. (the bean counters have taken over)

After watching the last AMLS at Road America, the GT2 M3 out handled its competition (Porsche) only to lose 1st place in class after hitting the aerodynamic wall on the long straights... to the 911 with its shape being more aero.

I move they take the new M6 and step up to GT1 and give Aston Martin and the Corvette a run for the money.......... These three cars are very similar (180+mph street cars) being traditional coupes/roadsters with big motors up front w/ rear wheel drive....now there's a race. AMLS is a nice format IMHO, and heralds the classic days of true racing and rekindles great rivalries.

We all know BMW has plenty of $$ to race, BMW should get out of F1 (not enough viable venues for the expenses), and race their flagships (like Corvette and Aston) and make a great show!

nothing like seeing Aston Martin, Corvette, Ferrari, BMWs, Porsches out there scrappin' gong for the whole shot and the checker..........but does BMW have the cajones...or do they just want to count beans?

-shanon
(mmmmm, yes, the beers are kickin' in nicely now.......)

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Um guys, you cannot fault the "bean-counters" for not wanting to provide manufacturer funding for campaigning a vehicle the manufacturer doesn't produce any more. Hard to justify? You betcha, no matter which side of the equation you're on. JUst the way it goes sometimes, heck...maybe NA wants to spend the PTG money on something we "oldtimers" can relate to, like the historic Motorsports vehicles that reside stateside, or sponsoring another historics at Laguna Seca. I KNOW that both of these things could probably be accomplished with one month's worth of F1 dollars, but lets face it, BMW NA has to go to AG for their play money, and supporting PTG's old stable wasn't a good sell to the parent company.

tripower

Reaction score
BMW becoming feminized

BMW just isn't serious about racing anymore. Look at Formula 1, ALMS, or Grand-Am.
I was watching the Speed Touring Car race a few weeks ago and the BMW's were getting eaten up by Acuras, Mazdas, and Audis.

Another problem is that BMW has become feminized over the past few years and I don't think Motorsports is as big a priority because of it. I, and many here, have always looked at BMW as a masculine brand but that is beginning to change.

I understand the need to market product to women but BMW AG/NA really shouldn't lose sight of the image they have worked so hard to build.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dale, you're right. And wrong. Well, not you per se, but the whole argument that there is no benefit in supporting the PTG team because the car is no longer in production.

At most vintage racing events. the local car clubs have corrals. The BMW faithful who fill these corrals, who by and large do not own 30 year old limited production hand-built cars, but rather lease year old robot-built cars, still get behind the 2002's on the track and cheer like drunken frat boys at a final four game. I have attended ALMS races, and I've seen similar support for the PTG team. As they say, in the world of the blind, the one-eyed man is king -- if there are no other BMW's being campaigned in the US, then why on earth does in not make sense for NA and AG to support PTG?

I interpret this as yet another ill-conceived move that illustrates the growing disconnect between BMW and their traditional base of support. In a nutshell, they've sold the traditional BMW customer down the river in favor of courting the trend-driven consumer. Since Mr. or Ms. Flavor of the Month has no inkling of BMW's motorsport history, the marketing gurus deduct (most likely correctly) that any tie in to racing must feature the model Mr. or Ms. Flavor of the Month is currently piloting, or they'll never make the correlation. Even under the best of circumstances, these consumers are unlikely to be significantly influenced by racing success. Their desires are informed by fashion and lifestyle magazines, their peers, and their aspirational influences, i.e., cultural icons.

Tell me, does Paris Hilton drive an e46? Well then...

The failure of imagination here, of course, is that Mr. and Ms. Flavor of the Month have no brand loyalty. While they may currently be enamored with the Bangle-butt, they will be jonesing for something 180 degrees from that before the ink on the lease is dry. Hitching your corporate wagon to this star is all but certain to be a recipe for disaster. BMW and Mercedes both seem to have lost the lesson of their historical success, which is -- slow and steady wins the race. Bangle argues that BMW design before his influence was too much evolution and not enough revolution, and that the controversy and backlash proves the wisdom of his direction. The guy who invented asbestos insulation thought he was onto the trend of the future too...

Mario L.

Reaction score
Folks,

Let's not forget that BMW NA is a stand alone company separate from BMW AG. They can only afford to race what they can possibly sell.

PTG's M3 racing program has previously lost funding from BMW NA when the E36 M3 production ended before the E46 was available. They were retained for some restoration and maintenance work on the Mobile Tradition fleet during this time. IRC the #25 CSL, M1, 2002, and the McLaren 320i were restored during this hiatus.

Racing BMWs in the USA at the professional corporate level like PTG has been funded princibly by BMW NA with help from some other sponsors. Corporate entities aren't going to invest monies to race what you can't buy!

And when if and when racing rules and classes are redefined so that some of their other cars qualify ( New M Coupe ) I'm sure they'll return.

corsachili

Reaction score
Hey at least they're quitting based on business reasons and not whining about rules like Ducati. Ducati whose lifeblood is racing. I expect Germans to be rational. The Italians, well, I expect them to be Italian. For those that have no idea what I'm raving about, Ducati has recently announced plans to leave AMA Superbike, a class which their machines dominated before the Japanese got wise and built competitive bikes. Now that Ducati doesn't have a 250cc displacement and 75 pound weight advantage they're not competitive and whining like children about the rules. It's pathetic.