Why are CSLs cheaper in the UK - re $28K for batmobile?

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
In classified - looks like a great example and 28K would be much less than in the US. Just curious.

OK not BM but still why is nice CSL in UK so reasonable?

Can't just be RHD

Values are all over the place in the uk

My thoughts on this

1.. Rare
2.. Nobody knows what they are
3.. BMW badge puts alot of folk off - reputation for being expensive
4.. Not considered a "classic" in the same way as say a morris minor or MGA
5.. "Harder" to get parts, maintain etc, less support compared to MG's etc

Other cars not fashionable so prices are low:

Rover 3500S - Once the fastest 4 door production saloon (sedan) in the world - still a very capable mile muncher and can be modified to have +300BHP
Rover SD1 Vitesse - fabled twin plenum - Once winner of the BTCC - shame the build quality was so poor
Lotus Carlton - Q car with 380BHP - parts getting hard to find.

Ok so I like cars with a bit of "go" :shock: But you could buy a 1st class example or even examples of the above for the cost of a new Audi TT or a bad ferrari

Malc

Sorry, can't pass on this (even if it means I will have a couple of friends more :twisted: )... Just kidding :D

1) Please eyes wide open (Or do you already know one RHD Bat?)
2) RHD CSLs all are Town-Kit CSLs
3) Town-Kit CSLs definitely are the cheapest CSLs

If I would have to choose between a nice town-kit CSL for 30k and a genuine lightweight for 30k with all the mythic parts but in need of a total restoration (in other words a true bucket), I would even not think 2 seconds about it and would immediately choose the bucket :wink:

All of the UK `town Kits` had all the alloy pannels unlike alot done for other markets with steel doors ect. The original lhd CSLs had wind up front windows and plexi glass rear side windows and no power steering.I belive the rhd uk CSL`s also had the thinner front screen.
marc

Marc,
In your last post Your right :D
BMW figured that the British public were not prepared to pay a fortune for a stripped out car so they bolted on all the goodies to the CSL shell. Remember those were the days when you could buy an E-type or a XJ6 and still have change left over to.... er fix it or even put petrol in it compared to the UK CSL prices

Hummm
Malc

Back