Why the E9 Hotness?

jhjacobs

Reaction score
This observation came to me after re-reading the Economic impact to our cars thread.

Even when severely Photoshopped the E9 still remains as sexy as ever. The thing I am struggling with is why? The E9 is hardly the fastest car from the era. It is not the lowest, best handling, nor most comfortable. Yet it there is clearly something about it that makes is special. Being purely analytic, it is a fairly basic boxy car and generally understated. So why the appeal? There are many here on the board and loads of people you simply meet in parking lots who say "owning an E9 has been a childhood fantasy," myself included. All E9's from the lowliest rusty beater to the hottest concourse restored coupe to the full racing Bat have the E9 appeal. It is true that it is a nearly perfectly proportioned car but in the end so is a Ford Taurus or a Camry.

After pondering this for a while I have decided this community should embark on a quest to define the essence of E9 appeal. I have come up with the three things that generally strike me:

- The C-Pillar roundel which seems akin to Marylyn Monroe's beauty mark.

- The back slanted nose seems to scream with classy aggression

- Most of us are familiar with the extreme level of morphing that the basic production E9 has undergone to become a Bat. Sure lots of cars can and have morphed but the E9 did it with amazing prowess and when a production E9 is next to a BAT the commonality is strikingly apparent.

From a driving experience there are other points to make like the windows, steering, and simple ergonomics but these are only known to people who drive them. The curb appeal question has universal application to most.

From time to time on this board you will read comments referring to E9 sexiness, E9 class, and my personal favorite comment where it was stated that seeing red brake calipers behind Alpina wheels on an E9 is like getting a glimpse of a woman's sexy red panties.

Am I all wet on this? Anyone else figured out (or even noticed) this enigma? What truly constitutes the "E9 hotness?"

Yes, this probably is not an Off-topic but I put it here nonetheless because I consider it to be truly subjective, kind of like coupe valuation.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
This observation came to me after re-reading the Economic impact to our cars thread.

Even when severely Photoshopped the E9 still remains as sexy as ever. The thing I am struggling with is why? The E9 is hardly the fastest car from the era. It is not the lowest, best handling, nor most comfortable. Yet it there is clearly something about it that makes is special. Being purely analytic, it is a fairly basic boxy car and generally understated. So why the appeal? There are many here on the board and loads of people you simply meet in parking lots who say "owning an E9 has been a childhood fantasy," myself included. All E9's from the lowliest rusty beater to the hottest concourse restored coupe to the full racing Bat have the E9 appeal. It is true that it is a nearly perfectly proportioned car but in the end so is a Ford Taurus or a Camry.

After pondering this for a while I have decided this community should embark on a quest to define the essence of E9 appeal. I have come up with the three things that generally strike me:

- The C-Pillar roundel which seems akin to Marylyn Monroe's beauty mark.

- The back slanted nose seems to scream with classy aggression

- Most of us are familiar with the extreme level of morphing that the basic production E9 has undergone to become a Bat. Sure lots of cars can and have morphed but the E9 did it with amazing prowess and when a production E9 is next to a BAT the commonality is strikingly apparent.

From a driving experience there are other points to make like the windows, steering, and simple ergonomics but these are only known to people who drive them. The curb appeal question has universal application to most.

From time to time on this board you will read comments referring to E9 sexiness, E9 class, and my personal favorite comment where it was stated that seeing red brake calipers behind Alpina wheels on an E9 is like getting a glimpse of a woman's sexy red panties.

Am I all wet on this? Anyone else figured out (or even noticed) this enigma? What truly constitutes the "E9 hotness?"

Yes, this probably is not an Off-topic but I put it here nonetheless because I consider it to be truly subjective, kind of like coupe valuation.

psychrunner

Reaction score
Not sure either...

Hi John. Interesting question and points you make. My coupe kind of reminds me of Madonna's ....well never mind that. The other day after parking it I looked at it from various angles. I have always been partial to the rear view for some reason. I think it just looks so sleek from that angle. Mentioned that recently to a BMW independent shop owner, and he stated "It looks great from any angle". Oh recently (actually just returned yesterday) visited the BMW museum at BMW Welt in Munich. Had a 507, an M1, a 2002, a 6 series or two, an Isetta, and other older models, but no "regular" e9. Did have the racing version of the csl there.
Randy

psychrunner

Reaction score
Not sure either...

Hi John. Interesting question and points you make. My coupe kind of reminds me of Madonna's ....well never mind that. The other day after parking it I looked at it from various angles. I have always been partial to the rear view for some reason. I think it just looks so sleek from that angle. Mentioned that recently to a BMW independent shop owner, and he stated "It looks great from any angle". Oh recently (actually just returned yesterday) visited the BMW museum at BMW Welt in Munich. Had a 507, an M1, a 2002, a 6 series or two, an Isetta, and other older models, but no "regular" e9. Did have the racing version of the csl there.
Randy

G

Reaction score
The words that come to me when describing the E9's curves would be ..sleek..svelte..sexy.. sma ooth bullet like stallion.! :D

G

Reaction score
The words that come to me when describing the E9's curves would be ..sleek..svelte..sexy.. sma ooth bullet like stallion.! :D

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Some views from an old timer

Timeless design---and perfect proportioned---

When first owned BLUMAX (before he owned me) attempting to describe the driving experience it occurred to me--"carved from one piece"--that was 37 years ago----

driver's all round visibility is unmatched----a serious drivers car---

never tire of mounting the steed for a rumble---even for just a short freeway sprint to clear its throat--did late this afternoon with brief run-up to 90 mph in traffic----

enjoy wiping him down after a run----

great companion on a long cross country--many thumbs up as you go

even here in jaded SoCal don't see one at every traffic signal

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Some views from an old timer

Timeless design---and perfect proportioned---

When first owned BLUMAX (before he owned me) attempting to describe the driving experience it occurred to me--"carved from one piece"--that was 37 years ago----

driver's all round visibility is unmatched----a serious drivers car---

never tire of mounting the steed for a rumble---even for just a short freeway sprint to clear its throat--did late this afternoon with brief run-up to 90 mph in traffic----

enjoy wiping him down after a run----

great companion on a long cross country--many thumbs up as you go

even here in jaded SoCal don't see one at every traffic signal

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
In 1969 I was a typical American 17-year old who knew nothing about cars but thought the Pontiac GTO was THE car to have. Then one day that summer my stepfather drives home with something called BMW, labeled 2002 (or Z00Z, depending how you look at it) and I just had to laugh at what I thought was a singularly dumb car...until I drove it. That car changed my life. Independent rear suspension, McPherson strut front suspension, single overhead cam, handling like nothing I had ever driven, we all know the rest. They just couldn't/wouldn't make cars like this in the USA...
Now in love with them, I read everything I could about BMW and found out in Car and Driver about the 2800 CS, which at $10,000 (I think) put it up there with Jags, Ferraris and other exotics. The coupe was the car that had to be better at everything than the 2002 and it was just SO BEAUTIFUL. And I couldn't drive one, let alone own one, because they were so rare and expensive...and that made the coupe even more desirable. I wasn't able to get my hands on a coupe until 1999, but the desire to have one never, ever left me in those 30 years. A requited love, started by the 2002, but fulfilled by one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

Bill
1974 3.0 CS

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
In 1969 I was a typical American 17-year old who knew nothing about cars but thought the Pontiac GTO was THE car to have. Then one day that summer my stepfather drives home with something called BMW, labeled 2002 (or Z00Z, depending how you look at it) and I just had to laugh at what I thought was a singularly dumb car...until I drove it. That car changed my life. Independent rear suspension, McPherson strut front suspension, single overhead cam, handling like nothing I had ever driven, we all know the rest. They just couldn't/wouldn't make cars like this in the USA...
Now in love with them, I read everything I could about BMW and found out in Car and Driver about the 2800 CS, which at $10,000 (I think) put it up there with Jags, Ferraris and other exotics. The coupe was the car that had to be better at everything than the 2002 and it was just SO BEAUTIFUL. And I couldn't drive one, let alone own one, because they were so rare and expensive...and that made the coupe even more desirable. I wasn't able to get my hands on a coupe until 1999, but the desire to have one never, ever left me in those 30 years. A requited love, started by the 2002, but fulfilled by one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

Bill
1974 3.0 CS