Wilwood brake upgrade.

OTOTOTO

Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone done the Wilwood big brake kit?

I’m trying to plan out running the brake lines to the front. If anyone has photos I’d be really helpful.

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
will your car have so much horsepower that bigger brakes are necessary?
Agree. I would suggest that other than the early E9s with drum rear brakes and/or cars that will be tracked or that have MUCH bigger tires than stock installed, there is no advantage to "bigger" brakes for E3s or E9s. Stopping distance will not be reduced. The stock brakes will slide the tires at full lock up and can be modulated to obtain the shortest stopping distance which is obtained just prior to sliding the tires. A change to different brakes may allow the same, but can result in LONGER braking distances or the car changing ends under hard braking since the pieces (rotors, calipers, master cylinder, servo, proportioning valve) are not engineered to work together as carefully as the stock brakes were.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
for rally i used the Wilwood fronts.
But with a Tilton pedal box ( easy choice in MC diameters ) and bias valve for the rear. With the oem pedals it didn't work well... not enough leverage.

PS at least 16" wheels needed.

SAM_3203.JPG

OTOTOTO

Site Donor
Reaction score
But with a Tilton pedal box ( easy choice in MC diameters ) and bias valve for the rear. With the oem pedals it didn't work well... not enough leverage.

Cool, I’ve switched to rep Alpinas at 16”. Which MC did you get? Brake booster?

A bit of where I’m at. suspension and brakes on mine have not been serviced in a decade or two. I’m sure I could refurb the calipers but would rather future proof for the chance at engine swap or mods to the m30, so have gone ahead and pulled the booster, master cylinder, struts, and some suspension bits. It’s looking more like I should replace all the bushing while I’m in there. The pads seem to have imprinted themselves on the rotors while parked for years. I would love to open up more space in the engine bay.

DD35029A-AB23-4BC3-9D22-04C41E2B7584.jpeg61A1C814-FCAC-4C7C-821C-E8FD5B75C7EF.jpeg85C7B3A0-B9BB-4BDE-9A0D-C99D2EAF0038.jpeg7C3A28D3-7ABB-4959-A06C-058B3E8D4B01.jpeg

I’ve already have the Ireland engineering kits and the recommended MC. Going with Koni coil overs via Ground Control.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Which Tilton pedal box did you use?

I have a box of Wilwood F&R brakes for the E9 from IE not installed yet.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Pedal box is with dedicated MC's front & rear.... and no booster at all.
We needed to weld a extra box in the chassis floor to make room for the pedals.

SAM_3219.JPG