window motor

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder if anybody has come across this problem before.

Drivers window, wasn't working, motor was turning both ways but not lifting window, I am thinking I have lots of fellow suffers so far.

Removed regulator and all thats attached, found the slotted/serrated small rod that runs from Gearbox to small cog (which turns the big cog) was just spinning in small cog. Here is where I may have got clever beyond my ability.

I decided all that needed was a spot weld between (or on) the small slotted rod and the small cog, making them once again turn the large cog. Seemed reasonable to me.

Took assembly to friend who did small spot weld, fantastic! small cog now turns large cog again and I didn't have to buy a whole regulator.

You know that would have all been to easy......

The motor now only works one way??? I even removed the motor to see if it was something the weld had done, unfortunately not.

So, question is, am I looking for a new window motor (sardine type) or are they repairable. If not, does anybody sell secondhand ones?

Would appreciate any leads or experience garnered from a fellow enthusiast/suffer

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If the motor was working before it could be now an electrical connection - are yo sure you have it wired correctly? Can you test the motor out of the car with the battery?

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Stevehose,

Yes tried that,, even put power to the side that wasn't working directly where it goes into the motor, but no luck. I actually used a power probe and powered it up one way and it spun great and then the other way resulted in a whole lot of nothing

Thanks anyway.

Pete

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
you shouldn't do that, for two reasons:
one
the flexible rubber-plastic intermediate part is needed for the start/stop transtition
it is a critical part
two
moreover, do you know why the engine is moving in one direction only ?
you weld, right ?, so you are connecting the motor to the body through the axis, so connecting to ground in an innadequate way !
regards

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi DeQuincey,

No its grounded at all times and I am testing with the motor removed from the regulator. So the weld is not a problem at the testing stage.

Maybe if I explain that piece a little better.

All these parts are removed from the car and on my workbench.

With the motor on the regulator, everything works perfectly but just one way. With the motor removed, the motor still only works one way.

Also, with the motor removed, the regulator moves perfectly both ways - by hand of course.

So in summation I have a window motor that just works one way.

Hopefully that now makes sense

Pete

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The old motor has ground always connected and two separate +12V wires, one per direction. (Newer motors have just two wires and the polarity is inverted by the switch to change direction). If motor has 3 wires, then it is the first case.

The 3 wire scheme probably means that each direction has its own winding, so it is possible that you fried the winding of one direction. Easy to test, just measure resistance between the ground wire and the wire of the direction that does not work. If it is an open circuit then you fried it or the wire is internally loose. In either case the next step is to open the box and figure out what is going on. You can have the motor re-wound if necessary.

New motors are not easy to come by, but used ones are aound. Every car parted out produces 4 motors, so that should be easy. On a parted car I would ask for the rear driver side motor as nobody likes to sit there (at least when I drive) and is probably like new.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks all

I will try what Arde was kind enough to forward and failing that, a new motor it is.

Thanks for the very kind input everybody

Pete

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
success

Thank you everybody for your kind help.

I opened the window motor and one wire had come away, so a regulator and a window motor are now both repaired:) and working:-D for a cost of $0:-D

Pete