window motor

inmantua1

Reaction score
I thought that the motor on my window of my 1973 cs was going bad. I took it apart as suggested and the moving parts were all gunked up and mostly not operating smoothly. I took all the moving parts out and cleaned them and put the window back together. now it works great. However there was a chase that runs vertical with a set of metal wheels that keep the window in place as it moves. This chase was full of a thick grease. I did not replace it because the window seems to function well with out it. However the window rattles now. I am pretty sure that it is the metal wheels in the chase rattling around. Does anyone know if the grease is necessary and what kind of substance it is?

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I used white lithium grease from a spray can with a fine tube nozzle. I'm sure any medium weight lube will work. I also tend to use Molybdenum grease from parts like this but I had a can of the lithium with the nozzle making application more precise.

I found cleaning my motors and lubing the mechanism made a big difference. I decided to take it a step futher and rewire with relays to take the load off the old switheds. For what I did (last post):

http://e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2180&highlight=relay

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I found some low cost Bosch style relay kits (5 packs and 10 pack) on ebay after doing this - I which I had them before because they came with pre-formed cable plugs. The angle brackets are straight from the hardware store 2.5' or 3". They took two relays and bolted neatly to the bottom without protrusion into the cover panel.